Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Transmission options  (Read 3556 times)

Offline redcomet303

• Tech
Transmission options
« on: September 16, 2010, 08:49:31 AM »
What transmissions / bell housings will bolt up to our LNFs? Like is there a way to adapt a turbo 350? Just getting Ideas. I want to swap my manual for an auto someday.

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
Re: Transmission options
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 09:11:31 PM »
Many transmissions  can be used. A Adapter plate can be fabricated to attach to the engine then new mounting holes are made for the transmission. This is not a job for a novice. The place that does allot of work on my car can do this kind of work[ They build funny cars and dragsters.] Getting the trans centered, making new  trans support ,changing drive shaft length etc.
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia

Offline deepwater805

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 11:11:10 PM »
Are there better after market transmissions available for the 2.0 Ecotech?

Offline redcomet303

• Tech
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 09:04:27 AM »
I was hoping maybe for a bolt on tranny besides the Auto. The reason I am asking is that my wife refuses to drive the car because its a 5-speed. She has driven a stick shift for a mile before in a parking lot and did good but she was shaking from fear of taking it on the road. I want to go Auto so I can make this car enjoyable for both of us.

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: Transmission (WIFE) options
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 09:10:37 AM »
Sounds more like you have to find an adpater for your wife. Take her to your local autocross Sunday. She'll learn more than you can teach her on the street.  :)

07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline redcomet303

• Tech
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 09:48:15 AM »
Lol. Yeah I have been trying to get her to go with me. We don't have a local autocross here. we have dirt track racing and rednecks

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 10:20:23 AM »
The transmission you choose depends on what you wanna do with the car.

If it's just for normal driving, just get the transmission that comes with the automatic version of the car and hope it fits.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline Yogi

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 04:26:08 PM »
Changing the car from manual trans to automatic is a HUGE project.  Besides the flex plate, trans and driveshaft, you will need to change the wiring harness and somehow get the ECM retuned for the auto.  Lotsa parts, money and work!   :banghead:

A much better plan is to sell the car and buy another with the auto.!    :)

Just my  :2c:
2008 Saturn Sky Red Line
2.0 Turbo LNF
5 Speed Manual
Snowflake Wheels
Monsoon Sound System
Leather Seats

Offline redcomet303

• Tech
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 04:58:41 PM »
I thought as much. Thats why I was wondering if an old school trans would fit

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 07:36:13 PM »
Find a dealership with Solstice with auto and trade cars.  Better yet find a empty parking lot and teach her how to drive it .  Once mastered it ,she will love driving stick
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 01:03:25 PM »
I agree. My daughter has never learned to drive a stick, but when she does....I bet she will love it!