Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Extra heatshield - opinions  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Extra heatshield - opinions
« on: December 12, 2010, 03:59:54 PM »
Hi all, i was wondering if there would be any benefit to put some extra heatshield in various places in the engine bay of the 2.0L turbo. if heatshield keeps heat inside a certain area (i.e. turbo heatshiled) then i logically suppose that it could keep heat outside places we want to keep cool.

i was thinking that maybe the pipes to and from IC could be wrapped with flexible heatshield so as no to get affected by the general heat inside the engine bay, thus providing even cooler air.
one more use, could be around the power steering wheel can.
and finally, all those with intake could make a diy heatshield (don't know how easy this is).

opinions?
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline spider

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
Re: Extra heatshield - opinions
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 04:20:22 PM »
Like this coated on the inside with a nylon slippery coating, outside ceramic coating then header-wrap. stays cool to the touch. http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x10/mcgadget/chargepipe.jpg
2500 degree F coating on manifold  http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x10/mcgadget/manifold.jpg Coating the cat tomorrow & will coat the turbo when I find a good rebuild kit.

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 04:33:12 PM »
nice one spider!
hav you seen any gains with this mod ?
maybe you could wrap it on top with such a product for better looks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330484804756&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline spider

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 04:54:07 PM »
huge increase in torque while idling.  Once the car is up & moving the charge pipes get plenty of fresh air & may add additional cooling without a wrap.

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 09:51:39 PM »
Keep the heat in the manifold to the down pipe.  You see a notice increase in spool up and it keeps heat out of the engine bay for everything sensitive including electronics.
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 10:47:17 PM »
Check out the links below. Exhaust header wrap will keep the heat in. It will also help keep the engine bay heat, from heat soaking the IC pipes. By controlling the engine bay heat. It will always help give you better performance.

http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/dei-cycle/motorcycle-exhaust-pipe-wrap-kits/titanium-exhaust-wrap-lr-technology

http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/component-specific-productst/t4-titanium-turbo-shield-kit.

Mike
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 11:34:21 PM »
What I thought was funny that with all the heat treating and bigger turbo covers out there, one of the Solstice drift cars used the stock one.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 11:50:51 PM »
Kenny, I guess drift cars are like a drag car. Once the turbo spools up might a well be twiddling your thumbs. Of course drift cars holes in the hood and probably some in the fenders.

Wrapping would help spool up on road courses.
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.