Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Engine  (Read 9095 times)

Offline spider

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
Re: Engine
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 11:13:28 PM »
Make sure they flush your intercooler too.
 The PCV valve in the manifold only works when under boost & is too small to equalize the pressure created by a serious ring/piston failure. The normal PCV line drains at the nose of the compressor. So air at the compressor has negative pressure assisting gobs of pressure blowing by the piston on compression stroke. The pressure goes past the piston to the lower crankcase upwards through where the oil normally gravity drains back to the sump. Now oil has a tendancy to pool at he top of the head<<<<I may be over my head here) & is easily sucked into the turbo compressor, through to the intercooler, throttlebody, manifold, pistons, cat, mufflers, viola smokebomb. I got the unfortunate addition of losing oil pressure to the timing chain tensioner!! (no oil light, no nothing)
Anyway thats why the turbo is so oily.

You said it was running great before they worked on the turbo. ??Why were they working on the turbo? I'm confused?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:18:22 PM by spider »

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 11:38:11 PM »

You said it was running great before they worked on the turbo. ??Why were they working on the turbo? I'm confused?

I Had Oil Leak showing up on top of the Camshaft cover and in the Valley next to the Oil Filter . They replaced the Check Valve and line AND the Line going to the Turbo . Then they said the seal in turbo was leaking and it had a Crack in it.  I am Getting Da*n good gas Mileage " Been on the same Tank over  1 1/2 Months now," Only thing thats on it is GMPP Tune and Magnaflow Exhaust . This is getting OLD Fast
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline spider

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 12:43:45 AM »
Mine was weeping around the oil fill cap. there is a small vent hole in our caps that exits outside the o-ring. Blow by can also make its way past the o-rings of the high pressure fuel pump plus the valve cover is oddly shaped there  & its likely to leak also. The crack in the turbo is probably the normal unusual if it wasn't split there crack. Short story long...They misdiagnosed your problem. Next was their run the piss out of it to see if its fixed, & go to lunch in it, test drive!!!  
I guess they didn't do a compression check first.
 I was to lazy to replace my compression gage that someone broke for me so I just bought a turbo instead assuming that was the problem......Doh...... Such similar symptoms   Both my turbos have (that)crack.
I got your milage beat & time between wash & vac. Now if I could only convince myself to put the stock tuned computer back on till I build a better motor!!!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 12:51:43 AM by spider »

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 01:24:01 AM »
This all started back in June when I got back from Canton OH .June 24th is when they first got it. Its been like seeing your kids every other weekend . then it goes back I have only put about 100 miles on it To date .   :gaah:    :banghead:    :banghead:    All Phuk   I always    :chill: 
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 10:42:47 AM »
Was looking around and found this on google typed in----->  ;2.0 LNF engine failure

Piston Ring Failure (lots of pics of inside an LNF) - Cobalt ...
2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner ... They tore down the engine and at first didn't see any issues. ...

Check it out
Mods

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 11:10:57 AM »
Was looking around and found this on google typed in----->  ;2.0 LNF engine failure

Piston Ring Failure (lots of pics of inside an LNF) - Cobalt ...
2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner ... They tore down the engine and at first didn't see any issues. ...

Check it out

do we have to 1 LIL NDN??
i mean, i wanna sleep tonight, don;t want any nightmares..
already feeling so sad about all the people that lost their engines. always have the feeling that i will be next...

i will take a look after all...
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2011, 12:36:59 AM »
 They are giving me a Rental Car in the Morning .I'm gonna try and get some Pics of what been done so far.
Mods

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2011, 01:47:38 AM »
Are you getting new motor?
Make the right choices now

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2011, 02:33:26 PM »
Gentleman Jack ;  1st  Welcome back from where ever you've been .You were Missed (  :lol: ) Yes I'm getting a new Motor from where I have no Idea . Went to get some Pics and its on the Lift ( me with no ladder ) everything is disconnected and on the ground next to lift.No idea what if anything they found but got an HHR  Rental  under warrenty just have to pay for my gas.
Mods

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2011, 03:21:24 PM »
Congrats 1 Lil Ndn!!!
it's great news they cover it under warranty!!
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2011, 03:35:12 PM »
So sorry to hear about another engine failing, but at least they are covering it under warranty!  Look on the bright side...brand new motor going in!
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline spider

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2011, 03:43:02 PM »
Are you intending to keep this one under the 300 HP fail marker? I managed to do it for an entire week!

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2011, 05:55:23 PM »
So sorry to hear about another engine failing, but at least they are covering it under warranty!  Look on the bright side...brand new motor going in!

Can we know for sure its a New Motor ? As long as its treated under warrenty service as new,I guess thats all that counts. I think they only producted so many Rear wheel Cars with that motor .The rest are HHR's and Colbalts . Is there a differance ?                             (Drive)
Mods

Offline spider

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2011, 06:36:46 PM »
I believe they are the same. They probably use a different exhaust manifold & don't use the same assessory belt since they don't mount a belt driven power steering pump. I can't see casting a different block for those, nor need to change motor mount locations. From what I saw googling used LNFs on the web all said fits Solstice, Cobalt & HHR. It will be new not used.

Offline 2.0 tspeed

• Master Tech
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2011, 06:55:06 PM »
My solstice has a new hhr motor in it

Formally Slowsol with a 07 solstice gxp e85 331whp 400wtq trifecta tune
2013 verano turbo

Offline spider

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2011, 07:29:42 PM »
I forgot about yours. So what is it like having a FWD Solstice?

Offline 2.0 tspeed

• Master Tech
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2011, 07:56:29 PM »
its still rwd

Formally Slowsol with a 07 solstice gxp e85 331whp 400wtq trifecta tune
2013 verano turbo