Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Engine  (Read 9095 times)

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
Engine
« on: January 26, 2011, 12:02:36 AM »
 The Dealer called me on MondayJan.24th  .They said the Engine had no Compression in any cyclinder.They may be putting a New Engine in my Car . their going to pull the Head and see whats going on  inside.    :banghead:    :gaah:      :yay:   will let me know in a couple days .
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline spider

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
Re: Engine
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 12:15:20 AM »
Here we go again!! Sounds like a valvetrain issue. Any symptoms to share other than the obvious no start.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 12:29:10 AM »
spider     
Here we go again!! Sounds like a valvetrain issue. Any symptoms to share other than the obvious no start.

It started and then sounded and acted like the old Run on after the key is turned off. Got it Started and went got hair Cut .Came out started right up and when I took off it looked like a oil burning truck in my Mirror .stopped at a light and blue smoke just rolled by my window . Got to the dealer told them the Problem THEN went out raised the Hood Reached under the Turbo and Pulled my hand out Loaded with OIL . Also I had just gotten it back on Jan.15th  and took it back Jan.17th they have had it off ond on from Oct .
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 12:32:24 AM »
Bummer, hope they get the motor replaced and the car back on the road soon.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 12:35:47 AM »
Thanks  So do I . Just a few   :censor:   :censor:    :censor:    :censor:     :censor:
Mods

Offline spider

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 12:43:52 AM »
Oh, not valvetrain. Pay to play or act innocent & have them eat it?

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 03:34:19 AM »
damn!!! another engine going bad??? i m too scared to even start my car with all this sh*t happening.
sorry to hear that lil ndn..
really hope you get it covered under warranty!
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 08:07:23 AM »
damn!!! another engine going bad??? i m too scared to even start my car with all this sh*t happening.

Seems to be happening a lot!  Just glad that you are good to go 1 LIL NDN!!!
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline 2.0 tspeed

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 08:19:41 AM »
Your going to get a new engine. And op has gmpp tune Im starting to think this engine isn't as strong as we all think

Formally Slowsol with a 07 solstice gxp e85 331whp 400wtq trifecta tune
2013 verano turbo

Offline Brad Kenny

• Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 08:59:40 AM »
Anybody given any thought of starting a thread to get a semi-complete list of all the engines with failures and turbo failures, including the 2.4L.  This could be good data down the road for GM to write a TSB to inspect the valve trains/turbos.
Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs

Offline JimmyBaja

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 11:05:36 AM »
Bobby, sorry to hear this. I sure know how you feel. At least you can get the dealer to fix yours.

Man, bad year for motors!  :gaah:

Offline U4EA

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 12:14:51 PM »
Your going to get a new engine. And op has gmpp tune Im starting to think this engine isn't as strong as we all think
GMPP/Westers race tune.

Anybody given any thought of starting a thread to get a semi-complete list of all the engines with failures and turbo failures, including the 2.4L.  This could be good data down the road for GM to write a TSB to inspect the valve trains/turbos.
My guess is GM is very aware of the # of engine failures being they are using the engine in multiple platforms.  :2c:

2007 Mysterious GXP Hard Loaded (all factory options avail. in 2007)
Trifecta Tune, GMPP Tune, GMPP CAI, Gm splash guards, Magnaflow 3" catback, DDM Race Backbone, "A" pillar gauge pod, Kapparoo pouch, Lil' Chromies, Gorgeous mirror, JPM center console & center grab handle, Windrestrictor V2 etched & lighted, Carolina Custom Upholstery door pockets, Kappakrap T2 decals, Custom front license plate relocation, Latin Venom Cooler, Fitted luggage, MBRP intercooler pipes, heat shield.

Jebsmith

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 12:28:07 PM »

Ok well think about the numbers.  How many people own modified kappas?  How many engine failures?  I only know of 3.  3 out of all these kappas is not too bad.

Offline JimVonBaden

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 12:39:14 PM »
Ok well think about the numbers.  How many people own modified kappas?  How many engine failures?  I only know of 3.  3 out of all these kappas is not too bad.
Don't forget that the same motor is also used in a few other cars, notably the Cobalt and HHR. I am betting that the numbers of motors used are high, and failures low, relatively speaking.

No comfort to those few who lost a motor though.

Jim :cool:
Never think you are forgotten!

Offline Brad Kenny

• Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 01:15:54 PM »
Thanks Jim for making this point. Losing a DD is a huge deal to someone living/working paycheck to paycheck. Again, big believer in pay to play, but if you are unmodified and failing...

See my point now?
Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs

Offline JimVonBaden

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 02:28:08 PM »
Thanks Jim for making this point. Losing a DD is a huge deal to someone living/working paycheck to paycheck. Again, big believer in pay to play, but if you are unmodified and failing...

See my point now?

I saw your point, and understood. There is little we can do to collect this info accurately since only a small percentage of owners populate the forums, and sometimes the situation is exagerated, or missed, because of it.

As for the DD thing, hell I have one that I drive every day, in all weather, but based on the responses here it "appears" that most have the Solstice/Sky as a second or third car, and not a DD. Skews the numbers a lot if it has super low miles on it.

I did a poll on this, and so far only one had an issue, out of 60+ votes.

Jim :cool:
Never think you are forgotten!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 02:34:42 PM »
There at at least 4 2.4's toasted all boosted turbo or supercharger
I think this puts the 2.0 in double didgets on the forums.  I haven't really kept that close of a track. 
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 05:42:52 PM »
Sang, Bobby, tough luck!
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 07:13:26 PM »
Really sorry to hear that Bobby, but I'm glad they're fixing it for you.

I was going to get mine tuned at SMMM8 - I'm reconsidering

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 07:45:04 PM »
WOW, this suck. Hope you get up & running ASAP.

Mike
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline spider

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 08:36:40 PM »
Whats to be sorry about? Free 0 milage engine, hello. Free loaner car? Sounds win/win to me!!

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 10:16:59 PM »
Engine failure keep popping up on this forum. It seems to be mostly piston failure or valvetrain problems. My engine blew a piston last year so when I rebuilt it I used all the best after market parts available . The Ecotec build book states that the stock piston is good up to 300hp, it was about the same for the stock valves. Pretty much everyone disagreed when I posted that about 1 year ago . I wish what I posted was wrong.
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 10:27:52 PM »

Its all under Warrenty unless they say the GM Tune or the exhaust caused it.  I think they may have tried to repair the Turbo AND Thus Put the Wheel in Backwards If that is Possible . As much Oil that was on the bottom it was doing something.
Mods

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 10:40:51 PM »
The wheel is only going to go in one way even if they use a bigger hammer.  Then again maybe they did use a bigger hammer and that's why you have an oil leak.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 10:50:28 PM »
The wheel is only going to go in one way even if they use a bigger hammer.  Then again maybe they did use a bigger hammer and that's why you have an oil leak.

Thing is it Was running great before they worked on the Turbo . + still waiting to hear back from then.
Mods