Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Review: CG Lock  (Read 5343 times)

Offline Yamatr3

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
Review: CG Lock
« on: January 25, 2009, 12:19:42 PM »
I wanted to post a little review about CG Lock seat belt locks.  I have used one on my car since I got it (about 1 1/2 years?) and can say I love it.  For all you guys that love to run the twisties and hate the way the seat belt cuts into you, this thing is for you.  What it does is lock in the lap portion of you seat belt so it can not keep tightening on you as you go back and forth while your driving down the road.  As you know, the belt lock tab that is on the belt itself can slide easily and will tighten up and be bothersome.  This locks it in and is fully adjustable with a little tab.  You can push that tab to loosen it or just pull the belt snug and it will not loosen up by itself. 

On a scale of 1 being easiest and 10 being hardest, it is a 2 to install. 

Pro's, Locks the lap belt in place, It is adjustable on the fly.

Cons, see the third picture.  You have to be careful when you close the door as this makes the locking tab portion of your belt heavier now and the belt doesn't retract as easy.  If you don't pay attention and make sure it is up, you can end up slamming the door on it.

I hope this review was good and maybe I have turned some of you onto something you might like!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 08:50:51 PM by DeepBlueGXP »

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
Re: CG Lock Review
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 12:38:08 PM »
Also have a CG-Lock. Great little piece of kit. As pointed out, it will scratch up the door jam if one is not careful. I, along with others, have found that the little "release" lever can (and WILL) work itself loose from the roll pin that it is located on. After having things fly apart at EXACTLY the wrong times (getting ready for a Solo run) I did a "fix". I found a real small screw (small enough to bite into the inside of the roll pin) and screwed it in to the pin holding the lever. TA DA. Fixed. HAs not come apart since.

Cost of the little screw? A trip to Ace Hardware.
Effectiveness of the fix? PRICELESS.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

lil goat

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 12:28:19 AM »
I have seen these advertised and never knew exactly what they did, thanks!

Offline Cheers

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 01:12:45 AM »
This is for lil goat

Offline Cheers

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 01:21:16 AM »
This is for everyone else AND if you folks say they work, I will be looking for a set locally soonest

This isn't bad either

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:24:52 AM by Cheers »

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 03:22:33 PM »
Lol.. great review!

Mine fell apart, terminally, half-way through my first auto-x season and I never found all the parts.  I've left the bottom portion on because I haven't gone looking for the little allen wrenches to remove it and it has continued to scrape up the door.

They do work though and come highly recommended by anyone in the twisty category.   I will have to try Bob's fix if I ever get around to contacting them for replacement parts.

+1 on the reviews.

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 03:41:12 PM »
Don't hold your breath about getting parts. IF they do anything, they will send a new one out to you. Since inserting the screw, no problems. I just have to remember to keep tabs of the sliding bar when I jump out of the car. I only use the bar (in season) when racing, and take the whole thing off in the off season.
Bob Buxbaum

Offline Cheers

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 06:12:58 PM »
Wonder if y'all have the instructor model that is designed to come apart easily so it can be moved from car to car   :idk:

About to find out -- ordered one last night  :woohoo:

Offline Yamatr3

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 11:35:56 PM »
I've had mine for 1 1/2 years and haven't had anything come apart. 

Offline Cheers

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 08:40:39 PM »
Sunday night/Monday morning y'all sold me went to www.racingseatsonline.com and ordered one.  It shipped Monday morning. It arrived in my mail box in Southern VA from Tacoma WA today, Wendsday!!!  Ripped open the box and installed LOVE IT  OBTW it come with sets of medium and long screws in the bag with the Allen wrench and small already in the CG-Lock. The instructions say use the long ones to start -- DON'T they are TOO long -- use the medium ones and you will move right along:  :drag:

Offline Yamatr3

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 10:02:38 PM »
Cheers, nice!!  I like your better than mine.  It looks like they lengthened the adjustment lever some.  Mine is much smaller. 

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 10:09:12 PM »
Cheers, nice!!  I like your better than mine.  It looks like they lengthened the adjustment lever some.  Mine is much smaller. 

And, AND, there appears to be some sort of fastener head on that level. Hey !!! Imagine THAT.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 10:13:41 PM by snaponbob »
Bob Buxbaum

Offline wegman

• Founding Member
  • Tech
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 04:34:06 AM »
i wouldnt mind her getting in to my car!!!
08 gxp 2 10\" subs and avic fb900..
wish list/
other rides= 2004 rubber mounted 1250cc harley davidson sporster custom complete engine up grade 100whp and 100 ftp

Offline MomsSol

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 10:17:42 AM »
Wonder if y'all have the instructor model that is designed to come apart easily so it can be moved from car to car   :idk:

About to find out -- ordered one last night  :woohoo:
Did you pick up this model?

How is it different than the regular one?

Thx!
Just here to help a friend! :thumbs:
True Lady Gearhead :)
We'll Miss You PONTIAC! :cryin:

Offline Cheers

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 02:36:08 PM »
Did you pick up this model?

How is it different than the regular one?

Thx!

I got the regular one, in part because of the discussion about having to apply a set screw.  Th Instructor model is the same, except that it is "easier" to move from car to car.  Frankly the regular model wouldn't be all that hard to move(once I figured it out  :huh:), but we'll see. Going to DC/Maryland over the weekend -- around 600 miles total.  Will let you know what I think when I get back Tuesday.   :drag: :woohoo:

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 02:43:42 PM »
Well, I e-mailed them about my "issue". They have already sent out a new one !!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND, they are including a paid envelop to return the old one. What's not to love.
Bob Buxbaum

Offline Cheers

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 05:32:14 PM »
Got back last night after a 865 mile weekend -- woke up this morning and for the first time in a long time my lower back didn't hurt after a long drive!!!!  I'm sold...

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 06:28:54 PM »
Sunday night/Monday morning y'all sold me went to www.racingseatsonline.com and ordered one.  It shipped Monday morning. It arrived in my mail box in Southern VA from Tacoma WA today, Wendsday!!!  Ripped open the box and installed LOVE IT  OBTW it come with sets of medium and long screws in the bag with the Allen wrench and small already in the CG-Lock. The instructions say use the long ones to start -- DON'T they are TOO long -- use the medium ones and you will move right along:  :drag:
(Image removed from quote.)

I received my replacement CG Lock a couple days ago. It looks JUST like my old one. When did you get the one in the pictures? It clearly is a bit different then the one I have and the one I just received. Yours has a longer release lever and appears to have a button on the side of the lever. What can you share about that?
Bob Buxbaum

Offline Cheers

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 07:03:17 PM »
I ordered mine on 26 Jan, delivered 28 Jan from RacingSeatsOnline.com ---

Offline Yamatr3

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 11:07:30 PM »
The one I pictured is an old one.  I have had it in my car for about 2 plus years.

lil goat

Re: Review: CG Lock
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 06:58:47 AM »
Well I got my CG lock last night and installed it, drove to work this morning and could already tell it will help with some of my bad habits. It also keeps me from sliding down in the seat while I drive, that makes my back hurt less and today very nicely locked me into the seat warmer. I tend to like to kick the ass end around corners, made a really big difference my feet stayed where they should be on the pedals and I was just much more a part of the car. I like it and HIGHLY recommend it, might be the best cheap mod yet, really helps a lot for $50. Thanks to everyone for pointing me at this mod, wish I had done it sooner.

Ben L

Re: Review: CG Lock
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 07:08:58 AM »
I've had mine on the GXP since Evo school.  Second what Goat says.  They lock you into the seal firmly.  It locks only the lap belt, so the reel on the shoulder belt turns freely, making it easy to get in and out without having to reset the CG Lock location on the lap belt.  Good stuff!