Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Door Panel Repair  (Read 4153 times)

Offline 60 s Sol

• Apprentice/Gofer
Door Panel Repair
« on: March 08, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
I noticed lately that the power unlock button and the manual door pull (interior) were coming loose and sinking into the door panel.  When I took the panel off, I found that several areas that were bonded (plastic welded?) to hold these in place had separated.  (see picture)

I need to reattach them but I'm not sure what to use.  My first thought was hot glue.  Has anyone else done this repair?  Any ideas on how to best reattach these?

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Door Panel Repair
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 03:40:09 PM »
They make plastic welders, try your local Harbor Freight store, or check their site.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 04:38:53 PM »
They make some really good adhesives that might work too, anyone know what material the panels are made from?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 05:23:02 PM »
They make some really good adhesives that might work too, anyone know what material the panels are made from?
Yeah, try Critter's suggestion... but as a fallback, I'd try JB weld or other 2-part epoxy. 

The plastic material seems to be a form of polypropylene (at a guess) which usually doesn't take well to glue.  Having said that, I epoxied in my puddle lights under the door liner and they are still there - though they don't have to withstand constant pushes.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 05:37:35 PM »
but as a fallback, I'd try JB weld

Beat me to it!

Depending on the plastic simple plastic glue may work, I know the polystyrene stuff I used to make model airplanes as a kid holds up incredibly well. Might be able to find similar stuff for polypropylene.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline ThunderSky

• Upgraded Member
  • Tech
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:03:37 PM »
here you go:

http://www.harborfreight.com/plastic-welding-kit-with-adjustable-temperature-96464.html

The issue with the hot air welder is that you need donor material the same make-up as the parts being welded, which becomes your "welding rod". And given the heat involved it would take some practice to weld these without distorting the other side of the plastic, if it's even possible.  I'm guessing that these were ultrasonically welded at the factory.
BUT, if it's not a polyethylene based material, then maybe a glue would work.  Would need to test a few different cements like ABS , PVC etc to see if they melt the material.
ThunderSky
Graphite RedLine,
Red / Black Leather,
Manual Tranny, Windrestrictor,
Monsoon with XM , Spoiler,
8000K HIDs on Low Beams and Fogs
Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Painted calipers,
Magnaflow 3" Quad Tip Exhaust, CAI

Offline spider

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 12:32:24 AM »
Push the plastic blobs back in place with a soldering gun & if you feel it needs more, light a bondo spreader & drip it over the joints like candle wax. Let cool & test weld.

Offline 60 s Sol

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 01:00:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Most of the welds around the door lock button and interior door handle had failed.  I used Loctite Epoxy Plastic Bonder and it worked great.  It is a two part epoxy, different from and stronger than Loctite Epoxy Plastic.  The one I used actually fuses the plastic, while the other claims to bond it.  At any rate, I broke the remaining welds, applied the bonder and clamped for an hour.  All pieces are now firmly seated in the door panel.

On another note, what would you recommend for removing scuff marks and other stuff from the hard plastic door panel?  Would a vinyl cleaner work here?

Offline pocketcthulhu

• Tech
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 03:15:18 PM »
On another note, what would you recommend for removing scuff marks and other stuff from the hard plastic door panel?  Would a vinyl cleaner work here?

I keep some isopropyl alcohol wipes for the hard plastic surfaces that get really grimy, they work wonders for me.

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 07:57:43 PM »
According to the GM service manual for the Kappa cars, the thermoplastic door panels are made of polypropolene. And of course, the manual only suggests repair products for rigid plastic parts...no mention of semi-rigid or flexible. Check with your local auto paint supplier for their recommendations for the proper repair product. Some of the available brands would be Fusor, Norton, 3M and others. Eastwood might even be a good source. Hope this helps you some.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 11:22:39 PM »
According to the GM service manual for the Kappa cars, the thermoplastic door panels are made of polypropolene.
Hah!  I soooo called it!
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 09:10:53 AM »
Yes you did TS...way to go!
Go N.A.K.3.D..