Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Racing oils  (Read 3570 times)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Racing oils
« on: May 11, 2011, 09:32:14 AM »
Free offer from Valvoline, mail in rebate for a case of racing oil.  Ignore their comment about 25% more zinc.  It's not really that much difference in the oil when it's a differece of .04 from the nearest competitor and that's not much in the terms of the whole thing.

http://www.valvolinevr1racingoil.com/  Offer expires end of May

but...

Mobile 1 doesn't have any zinc ?

% zinc is the amount of zinc used as an extreme pressure, anti- wear additive. The zinc is only used when there is actual metal to metal contact in the engine. Hopefully the oil will do its job and this will rarely occur, but if it does, the zinc compounds react with the metal to prevent scuffing and wear. A level of .11% is enough to protect an automobile engine for the extended oil drain interval, under normal use. Those of you with high reving, air cooled motorcycles or turbo charged cars or bikes might want to look at the oils with the higher zinc content. More doesn't give you better protection, it gives you longer protection if the rate of metal to metal contact is abnormally high
Oil additives should not be used. The oil companies have gone to great lengths to develop an additive package that meets the vehicle's requirements. Some of these additives are synergistic, that is the effect of two additives together is greater than the effect of each acting separately. If you add anything to the oil you may upset this balance and prevent the oil from performing to specification.

More info on oils
http://micapeak.com/info/oiled.html

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
Re: Racing oils
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 10:32:55 AM »
here's info about Royal Purple XPR 5w30 for comparisson sake.....

In parts per million (ppm):

Calcium = 3039

Phosphorus = 1338

Zinc = 1421

Moly = 204

TBN = 10.9

For reference:
Calcium : Detergent/dispersant additive
Phosphorus: Anti-wear additive
Zinc : Anti-wear additive
Molybdenum: Anti-wear additive
TBN (Total Base Number): reserve alkalinity, which controls
acid formation as a result of the cumbustion process

All Royal Purple engine oils contain the zinc/phosphorous compound zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate (ZDDP). Royal Purple HPS and XPR lines of engine oils are formulated with a higher concentration of these elements and are suitable for both roller and flat tappet valve trains.

COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) goal 800hp

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 12:11:37 PM »
My understanding was that all oils available for road-use now have had the zinc compounds removed or drastically reduced, by law(?).  This is due to the deleterious effects zinc has on the cat. converter.

That's why the modern formulations aren't as good at protecting the engine as they were a few years ago.

Yep... here's a link: http://blog.eastwood.com/tech-corner/zddp/
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
Race oils  for race engines that mostly w/o cat....so they benefit using oils w/ lots of zinc

but if your daily driver doesn't have cat............then these oils with higher concentration of zinc, will be fine....

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 01:06:33 PM »
JUST received an e-mail about the zinc issue !!!!!!!!!!!! "Free" doesn't look so good anymore !!!!!!!!!!!
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 01:16:27 PM »
And?  I don't have a cat, would it be something worth trying?     Have always just used mobile 1....

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 01:22:32 PM »
Thanks, since I have a CAT, I won't be using oils with Zinc.

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 02:04:48 PM »
Also, talking with some of the race teams on our local forums it looks like in addition to the above, it's also recommended to change race oil every 1k miles if used in a street car.

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 05:14:36 PM »
Looks like I am throwing away my coupon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 10:03:04 PM »
Also, talking with some of the race teams on our local forums it looks like in addition to the above, it's also recommended to change race oil every 1k miles if used in a street car.

do you know their reasoning why they have to change every 1000 miles?'

I talked to Patrick Burris of Royal Purple last year......and he said that for very highly modified cars that is purely racing.......OR a modified street car, the XPR can last up to 10,000 miles.

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 10:15:48 PM »
do you know their reasoning why they have to change every 1000 miles?'

Dunno about their reasons, but if I was in their shoes I'd replace it on a "why not?" basis after or before a major race, along with the brake fluid and possibly a few other things. If you've got the money, why not? Easy way to eliminate it from being a problem.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 11:05:07 PM »

so I guess......if off-Road Race teams that competes at a BAJA Course (more than 1000 miles)..........think this way...they won't be able to complete a course w/o changing their race oil during a race ;)

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 01:11:28 AM »
so I guess......if off-Road Race teams that competes at a BAJA Course (more than 1000 miles)..........think this way...they won't be able to complete a course w/o changing their race oil during a race ;)

What did you think the people standing in the middle of the track were trying to do?  Help change oils of course!
Make the right choices now

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 11:31:43 AM »
What did you think the people standing in the middle of the track were trying to do?  Help change oils of course!

BAJA course.......not nascar ;)

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 02:44:06 PM »
Most racing oils do not have dispersants or detergents...they tend to cause foaming, something that is not good at continued high rpm. A street driven motor hardly ever sees a situation where foaming will be long term and therefore is not dangerous to the internal parts. With the detergents in the oil the contaminants are kept in suspension so the filter can take them out, therefore these oils are suitable for longer intervals between changes. Racing oils need to be changed far more frequently. The primary purpose of an oil change is to dispose of the contaminants...the oil itself rarely breaks down during that length of use. The zinc additives were used as an extreme pressure protection for flat tappets and thrust bearings/washers. Auto design engineers, knowing that zinc was going to be phased out to lower levels (typically 800ppm) went to roller tappets for the camshafts and found other ways to locate the crankshafts without the use of thrust washers. Current engine designs do not require the higher zinc levels (1200-1400ppm) needed in older engine designs. That said, it would seem that if you're not using a catcon there is no need to use reduced zinc oil. Not so, maybe....hydraulic lifter tappets are very viscosity sensitive in terms of pump up and leak down. Changing from the factory recommended oil weight can have consequences regarding the valve operation. Be very, very careful before trying to second guess the design engineer. As an example, Mobil 1 5w30 has 800 ppm ZDDP and is intended for use in late model automobiles. Mobil 1 15w50 has 1200ppm ZDDP and is intended for use in older models. Do your homework before randomly changing oil types and weights.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 04:35:50 PM »
Wow.  Thanks, Rogue.  And there I thought you only knew how to paint!
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)