Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: LS3 conversion estimate?  (Read 11874 times)

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
LS3 conversion estimate?
« on: June 14, 2011, 02:58:36 PM »
I'm still thinking that one day I'd like to do this but right now it's still a pipe dream (and may very well remain one), but you have to start somewhere.  Nevertheless, could someone give a guesstimate to how much a conversion could end up costing? 

I understand a lot of variables come into play (like; buying the parts from Performance Autowerks and having it done locally vs having them do everything).  Regardless, I at least would like to start a discussion to figure out if this is even possible or if it should remain a pipe dream.  I can't be the only person who wonders stuff like this.

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
Re: LS3 conversion estimate?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 03:01:53 PM »
around $15-20k
COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) goal 800hp

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 03:17:16 PM »
I'll probably send my car to WERKS.

this is a major upgrade, so if some issues shows up............you know who to call.

Unlike buying this base LS3 from one vendor....and having somebody install it.  You might save a couple thousand $$$ here and there.......but if there is an issue............the installer will blame the vendor where you got the base kit from............and vice versa.    So you end up getting screwed.

just my 2 cents...

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 05:54:50 PM »
DDM is in the process of doing the conversions as well.  Depends how much you want to do, there is a garage in WV that does a complete conversion, Engine, trans, driveshaft, rear and some special body work and paint.  It ain't cheap but everything works including the padel shifters if you go with an automatic.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 07:34:12 PM »
I am going with wade as he has done several automatics, it's going to be around 30,000!  As Crit says new everything and everything will work.  If I had a standard shift, I would use DDM.  Just my two cents
My KappaPerformance Mod Page
Pontiac builds excitement but Joe kicks it up a notch!  Bam!

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 08:01:20 PM »
Chuckdoc did your LNF bite the dust? You haven't been saying much lately and I've been wondering.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 08:15:52 AM »
I didn't realize DDM was considering getting into the V8 conversion business, and completely forgot about considering Wade Engineering. The 15-20K was about what I was thinking, but the 5K spread isn't chicken feed.

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 09:12:52 AM »
the $5k spread is usually needed.

there's some "stuff" that shows up and needed for upgrades or more labor :)

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:

Offline JimmyBaja

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 09:38:18 AM »
I think DDM is working on one now, I saw it when I was picking up my car.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 10:01:25 AM »
Werks is more in the $23k range for their kits.
These V8 conversions, while not cheap, are why I'm not scared to mess with my 2.0l.
If I blow it bad enough, I'll just drop my car off somewhere, take out a 401k loan and wait for the awesomeness to be finished.

I think a turbo 2.0L with Rods and Pistons is a better handling vehicle with the same speed, but there is just that cool factor, the instant response of a V8, and the rumble. 

It's also a big middle finger to the Green Movement
:D

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 11:09:06 AM »
HA HA I have thought about a conversion many times as well, but the new turbo gives plenty of power and I might need a second car soon....so I'll just go with a V8 at that time...Challenger perhaps? 

DDM has mentioned that they are doing a conversion.  Wade has been doing conversions for some time now, and Werks has one as well...I believe each one is slightly different and offers differnt things in their packages.  I would look at them all and see which one suits your personal needs and wants out of it.  Since DDM does not have it listed on their site, you might want to give them a buzz and find out what their kit will entail and what the price range is going to be.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline cartmann32

• Tech
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 11:10:48 AM »
Werks is more in the $23k range for their kits.
These V8 conversions, while not cheap, are why I'm not scared to mess with my 2.0l.
If I blow it bad enough, I'll just drop my car off somewhere, take out a 401k loan and wait for the awesomeness to be finished.

I think a turbo 2.0L with Rods and Pistons is a better handling vehicle with the same speed, but there is just that cool factor, the instant response of a V8, and the rumble.  

It's also a big middle finger to the Green Movement

I like you're way of thinking.....a lot

Trax Customs

If we can't do it, you don't need it

Offline cooper1340s

• Tech
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 01:07:28 PM »
DDM is doing 3 conversions right now, mine being one of them.
06 SLY, Sand&Steel, Formerly DDM Stage III Intercooled/Supercharged: NOW LS3/480 V8, Tremec 6 speed, 3.23 positraction Getrag differential, custom stainless steel true dual exhaust system w/high flow cats, carbon fiber rear valance, red powder coated calipers, DDMWorks Stage 1 brake upgrade, extra horn, garage door opener, customized fuse box cover, Red anodized engine covers, DDMWorks console, Lambo doors, clear bra, DDMWorks red racing backbone, car is de-badged.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 01:25:04 PM »
Cooper,
You are now obligated to post lots of pictures, descriptions and opinions on the new setup.
Please do not let the Huge smile you will have on your face to get in the way of this requirement.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing the final product.
 :thumbs:

Offline cooper1340s

• Tech
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 02:28:05 PM »
I will report as soon as I get car back and get to try it out a bit.
06 SLY, Sand&Steel, Formerly DDM Stage III Intercooled/Supercharged: NOW LS3/480 V8, Tremec 6 speed, 3.23 positraction Getrag differential, custom stainless steel true dual exhaust system w/high flow cats, carbon fiber rear valance, red powder coated calipers, DDMWorks Stage 1 brake upgrade, extra horn, garage door opener, customized fuse box cover, Red anodized engine covers, DDMWorks console, Lambo doors, clear bra, DDMWorks red racing backbone, car is de-badged.

Offline JimmyBaja

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 02:34:04 PM »
So I guess that was yours I saw with the custom paint job & v8 in the engine bay.... Nice!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 05:13:22 PM »
So I guess that was yours I saw with the custom paint job & v8 in the engine bay.... Nice!
And you didn't get photos!!!!  WTF

Offline Racer_X

• Tech
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 05:42:53 PM »
No, He probably saw Rob_The_Elder's Punisher car there!! Still the best swap out there is the 2Jz-Gte!! When I murk this engine I'll be dropping a 2 JZ in my SHlT!
2008 Sly GXP (Z0K) Custom Tune, Dejon Precision 5557B Kit, Wiseco/ARP/K1 Built Bottom End, AEM Meth Injection, SPEC Stage III Clutch, DDMworks Backbone, Kappasphere ReBar, DDM Crossbrace, Custom Front Splitter, HKS SSQV, NORMS ZR-1 fenders, Cobalt SS BBK.

414rwhp/ 436tq @ 26.5psi

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 05:57:24 PM »
A Toyota engine in an American car?! That's just wrong on so many levels.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 07:06:36 PM »
We have a japonese gearbox, a german lsd and many others in our Kappa ;)
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 07:42:36 PM »
It's like the end of Tokyo drift when they drop the mecca of all Nissan engines in a Mustang.
Holy crap did that cause an internet storm on both sides of the argument.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 07:43:39 PM »
Crap
Just admitted I watch the Fast and the Furious movies
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Actually I really like Tokyo Drift.  The driving was legit with Tanner Faust doing all the stunt driving in the 350 Z

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 08:55:05 PM »
I am here, my engine is running strong but I visited wade and cant stop dreaming of a V8.  Not the juice critter! 

Been really hectic at work so hard to keep up right now.  Will b retiring soon and will then live on forum so be forewarned. 

Now back to regularly scheduled thread.

Not a sermon just a thought
My KappaPerformance Mod Page
Pontiac builds excitement but Joe kicks it up a notch!  Bam!

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 09:43:02 AM »
Thanks for the feedback folks.  I think what's driving me is I stopped at my mechanic shop this week and he was tuning his daughters 64 small block to take to the vette meet/drags this weekend in Chicago. It brought back a lot of memories of my 64 coupe and basically reminded me how much I want a V8 again before I die.  And size-wise the Kappa's do remind me a lot of the mid-years.  But I think the best course of action is too just keep saving and researching.

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 02:27:18 PM »
saving and researching is the key!!! :)

talk to different vendors, and get a quote from them.

Whoever gives the best deals, and services............go with that vendor!

good luck!

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS: