Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: FYI - Removing pins from GMPP TMAP connectors  (Read 5501 times)

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
FYI - Removing pins from GMPP TMAP connectors
« on: July 04, 2011, 12:48:59 PM »
As some folks witnessed at MMM8, the &**%^%$ dealer that sold me my car (no longer in business) installed my GMPP tune and made a butchered job of it.  They managed to cut one wire too short (I assume) and crimped it TWICE, in two different places. Of course they covered-up the <excrement> work with tape, so I didn't find this until I went to solder the connections after I got a code one time.  I was so stunned I just recrimped, which fixed the code, and went away to regroup.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Then I investigated getting a replacement connector to solder with, but found they are over $70 each!  For a %^%$ connector!  The TMAP sensors themselves, are only a FIFTH of the price of the stupid connector!

SO, yesterday I decided to go ahead and cut off the connectors and see if I could swap the unused pin and pigtail wire with the hashed-up one, hopefully avoiding the need to solder that wire twice.  After a lot of investigation using a Jewelers loupe and mini-maglight, I worked out how the pins were held into the connector shell.  By way of background, most pins like this are held in with one, or sometimes two, spring-tabs that lock behind a ridge in the plastic shell.  I found that THESE pins have FOUR spring tabs. (Ay caramba!)...

If you should ever need to remove one (hopefully you won't) you'll need to insert a fine probe such as a sewing needle (note: dental probes are too big) into the holes shown by the arrows and bend the tabs down to free the pin...

One more tip for those soldering their connectors... You can cut the crimps off on either side of the metal crimp-tube in the middle, leaving the ends of plastic outer shell still on the wires.  Although these are glued on, you can then remove them using a mini-butane torch to soften the plastic and then slide off the wire with needle-nosed pliers.  This will give you as much wire as possible on either side to solder with.  Be careful not to melt the wire insulation though!

"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
Re: FYI - Removing pins from GMPP TMAP connectors
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 03:10:34 PM »
That's a lot more reasonable.  But good write up TS.   It's amazing what you have to go through sometimes, because someone you paid to do something correctly, half @$$ed it.

U R da man

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 10:32:18 AM »
I am not looking forward to soldering mine. Not sure what I'll find!
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 10:42:01 AM »
I got lucky.  Had about 3" of extra wire on the connector side.  hopefully you will have similar luck.

Offline flyingfish

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 07:27:30 PM »
My brother has special tools that are made to remove the pins from the connectors.