Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Custom Projector Foglights - Solsti  (Read 3500 times)

Offline cartmann32

• Tech
Custom Projector Foglights - Solsti
« on: August 01, 2011, 10:49:58 AM »
Finally got around to making some custom projector foglights.
New product came out and I had to try them out…so far, very impressed with the output.

I put these matchbox projectors in some ‘just blinker’ housings I got from a grand prix.
Only bad thing, is unless you want to cut your car, these will not be easy to remake.  There is a bracket right behind the turn signal/fog light housing, and in order to make these lights fit, I had to recess them a lot, meaning they stick out the back about 4”s…which comes in contact with the brace…so naturally, the brace was cut….no biggy.

I’ll snap finished pics once they are mounted and I redo my turn signal/running lights.

Cheers!!

Trax Customs

If we can't do it, you don't need it

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Custom Projector Foglights - Solsti
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 11:54:30 AM »
Nice!  Are these actual foglight projectors (wide and low pattern) or "driving" lights to add to the high beams?
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline cartmann32

• Tech
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 12:36:12 PM »
These are actually foglight projectors....well, projectors that are just rediculously small.

They are Bi_Xenon, so I have a low beam and a high beam.
The coverage is about 3/4s what my FX-Rs are (but that's expected with them being 1/2 if not 1/4 of the size of the FX's)

Trax Customs

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 12:55:30 PM »
Add an LED halo so that a solstice can use this as their turn signal and parking light and Im sure there will be a few buyers of these.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 01:26:15 PM »
Add an LED halo so that a solstice can use this as their turn signal and parking light and Im sure there will be a few buyers of these.
Oh jee thanks. Something alse to save for...   :slap:

:D

Is there any concern how the heat will effect the enclosure?  :idk:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline cartmann32

• Tech
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 01:40:17 PM »
I could have added an LED halo...but i was set on a different location, as when the fogs are on, you wouldn't be able to see the turns if you were infront of it.

I'll know more on the heat issue when i start using them.  Hopefully not :)

Trax Customs

Offline cartmann32

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 09:58:50 AM »
Got everything wired up last night....everything needs small adjustments, but this first go-around needed to be done before the big car show this weekend....so that goal was achieved.

These fog light projectors are pretty amazing...and put out more light than some peoples stock headlights...so I'm sold on them.  I need to reseat the passenger side bulb and adjust my passenger side headlight a bit (all from the removal of bumpers and whatnot.

Only thing left to do is hook up the high beam solenoids on the matchbox projectors and I'll be good to go!

I'm diggin' my new led marker lights too....not sold on the blinkers, but the 6 straight line for the driving lights are awesome....give the car the sleek look I was hoping for!

Trax Customs

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 10:09:50 AM »
Nice, I also like the yellow LEDs!
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 11:24:19 AM »
Very nice CM, wish I could check your car out in person.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 12:07:48 PM »
So how about a headlight conversion using two of those tiny projectors in a staggered setup (similar to the mini style, but both as projectors)?

"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 03:34:48 PM »
Oh jee thanks. Something alse to save for...   :slap:

:D

:tool:
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline scoobyless

• Tech
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 04:27:31 PM »
So how about a headlight conversion using two of those tiny projectors in a staggered setup (similar to the mini style, but both as projectors)?

(Image removed from quote.)

In terms of performance an cost it would be a lot more beneficial to run a single quality projector rather than a pair.  In order to run a pair you would have to make a custom mounting bracket and do a lot of modification to the back of the headlight housing.  With a single projector retrofit there is very little, if any, modification to the back of the housing and the projector mounts to the existing reflector with ease and retains the level adjustment. And let's not forget trying to get all the projectors outputs to line up.

All that being said, these are an inexpensive projector, I think about $90 per set retail vs the typical $150-200 per set.  Could be a fun project but would take plenty of work.

Aside from that, kudos on the fogs, that's something I've had on the back burner for a bit but i was planning on using the minis.
2008 Cool GXP
2004.5 GMC 2500HD Duramax
2004 Subaru STi

Offline cartmann32

• Tech
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 05:06:08 PM »
In terms of performance an cost it would be a lot more beneficial to run a single quality projector rather than a pair.  In order to run a pair you would have to make a custom mounting bracket and do a lot of modification to the back of the headlight housing.  With a single projector retrofit there is very little, if any, modification to the back of the housing and the projector mounts to the existing reflector with ease and retains the level adjustment. And let's not forget trying to get all the projectors outputs to line up.

All that being said, these are an inexpensive projector, I think about $90 per set retail vs the typical $150-200 per set.  Could be a fun project but would take plenty of work.

Aside from that, kudos on the fogs, that's something I've had on the back burner for a bit but i was planning on using the minis.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Spend the money on a GOOOOOD projector and be done with it....Duals would look cool, but the performance wouldn't be worth it.

Scoob, I'd say go with the Matchbox, cause the mini's are deeper than them, and you need all the space you can get behind there

Trax Customs