Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Water Pump FAILED, Right Motor Mount NOT BAD  (Read 14423 times)

Offline Brad Kenny

• Gearhead
Water Pump FAILED, Right Motor Mount NOT BAD
« on: September 23, 2011, 09:45:20 AM »
Background:
Due to the consistent water pump failures across both platforms, I watch my coolant resevoir like a hawk. Everytime I pop the hood for cleaning, oil change, anything; I check the resevoir level.

About 1500 miles ago (before my Atlantic rounder to see the boys), I have an oil change done, check the fluids. Good to go...

Have not had the hood up since. (approximately 10 days).

This morning I go out and stick the key in, start the car and immediately get the low coolant light. WTF?!?
Stop the car, pop the hood and sure enough, fluid level is at the bottom of the resevoir tank, but not below the indicating range. (no air introduction).

Fill with DI water to the normal line (20 oz of water), drive to work. Of coarse I am now running late, so I pop into work, do the morning meetings, and at first chance pop the hood and find the level down about 1/4 of the resevoir level again. No fluid on ground, no sign of a hose or clamp failure.

I call the dealership, maybe we can look at it Monday or Tuesday. Grrr...

I wait another hour, check the fluid level, no change. I start the car and run it at idle for about 10 minutes, no visible leaks, no noted drips from the water pump or hoses. Distinct smell of DEXCOOL. Check the tail pipes, no white smoke, could tell you if there is a smell of coolant or not. Water level rises a little (due to heatup, normal) in the resevoir.

So hear I sit, trying to find a dealer who will take a look at it. before next week. (Have a trip to DDM for other installs in 8 days).

My first thought is water pump, some have had it intermittently dump fluid and then stop, others complete failure. I would be happy with either since I only have about 4 years and 57k miles (covered by powertrain/engine warranty). Other thought, water jacket or head gasket failure.

What should I be looking for? Obviously puddles, leaks, hose failures, coolant level etc. But what about the other (head gasket, jacket failure)?

Thanks for you input in advance. Hammy221, I know you have done this repair yourself, up for another one?

Now I am going home to remove my LV Brace and reinstall the stock air box baffle for a trip to the dealership. Will keep everyone informed of the outcome, if more occurs.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 04:33:56 PM by CT Solstice »
Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Another 2.4L Water Pump Failure?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 01:17:30 PM »
At first mine was leaking just intermittently and I did not notice right away but did notice low reservoir level.   Thought it was leaking from the overflow tube since I did see evidence of that happing dried drips on the fender wheel cover right below the overflow tube.  Even at the end the tech stated IIRC that it would leak a from the weep hole but only after 21lbs of pressure was  on the system. 
What is the normal pressure does our system operates?

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 02:52:28 PM »
Jer, get the car in the air and look underneath along the right side bottom of the engine, trans and exhaust.  It could be hitting the exhaust and burning off.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline hammy221

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 03:59:24 PM »
mine didnt drip to the ground it hit the frame and under carriage and dried there. when dexcol dyes it will look like a red goo almost. also if its dripping its more then likely coming from the bottom bearing failure indicator hole at the bottom of the Water Pump. you can look at it if you turn your wheel to the left and look though the wheel well from the back side while laying on the ground it takes a little working to get in just the right position but youll see it. if you locate the water pump intake line follow it to the water pump then look to the bottom of the pump. Also is your a NA with no forced induction added as i didnt see it on your mod page and if your within warranty go to the dealer if not and you decide to do it your self i have a few recommendations for you on the replacement so im me before you decide to take on the job.

Offline EarthNTX

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 07:18:29 PM »
I had my pump replaced (warranty a few months ago)..it dripped a bit here and there. I thought it was the a/c until I touched the drips.. :gaah:  The drops were on the right side. Not alot, but enough to make the coolant level lower.

Good luck with that.  :sorry:
Ride it like you mean it.

Offline Brad Kenny

• Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 01:04:46 AM »
I know based on past threads that this repair is covered by the 5 year 100k mile warranty. Anyone have any issues collecting on this? Are dealerships known for fixing this readily (similar to the rear diff) or are they going to fight the repair? I am sure it will be dealer based, but a good base knowledge is nice to have.

Thanks all for you input on where to look for the weepage and what to look for, now if the rain would just stop, I would be much happier.
Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs

Offline hammy221

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 02:05:28 AM »
my dealer said no because of the ddm stage 2 but some will do  it anyways as they don't see how it could of caused an issue. if your stock then you will have no issues getting it warranted

Offline Brad Kenny

• Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 01:59:04 PM »
As most know, my car is a stock NA with a DDM Tune. I pulled the LV Brace and the Mallet Mod to put back in the stock air "muffler". I also have a powdercoated valve cover but I can see that being a resaon to negate my warranty. We shall see.

The strangest thing is my level is now constant. Hasn't changed in over 24 hours and I even went out of my way to put close to 200 miles on my car to try and get it to leak. Strange.

I have talked with several people here. And all I can do now is watch and wait. I will get my car up on a lift Monday afternoon to do a more detailed inspection for the water pump areas mentioned above.

What are the chances of an internal leak. Failed cylinder, or head gasket? Again I have 57500 miles and this would seem a likey falure. I have watched for white smoke and coolant smell and as of yet, nothing.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 06:49:48 PM by CT Solstice »
Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs

Offline efbrodiesr

• Tech
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 02:28:03 PM »
Check your dipstick for oil level.  If you have an internal leak and you are not burning off antifreeze, It could be leaking into your crankcase which would increase the oil level on the dipstick.  I remember only one post where this has happened.  He got a new motor out of it.
Ernie

Offline EarthNTX

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 02:45:32 PM »
I know based on past threads that this repair is covered by the 5 year 100k mile warranty. Anyone have any issues collecting on this? Are dealerships known for fixing this readily (similar to the rear diff) or are they going to fight the repair? I am sure it will be dealer based, but a good base knowledge is nice to have.

Thanks all for you input on where to look for the weepage and what to look for, now if the rain would just stop, I would be much happier.

I had mine repaired under warranty. It took 10 days, but it was done last May, when I first got the car! I just wondered if they used that special tool. I'm getting kinda paranoid now. Wonder why.
Ride it like you mean it.

Offline J_Bond

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 06:10:35 PM »
I'm wondering if there is some other bizarre facet to this problem that we just haven't picked up on yet.  I mean it's AWFUL STRANGE that suddenly you have no leak after re-filling...  I had my coolant drop a little bit awhile back, re-filled and no problem since.  There's gotta be something else going on with the LE5
2008 2.4L N/A  '14.748' Quarter-mile record holder'
WERKS lightweight battery
Dyno-tuned ECM by HP-Tuners
SOLO Single Catback exhaust
SOLO header
SOLO High Flow Cat
Energy suspension bushings
Koni shocks
Pro-Kit springs
EBC slotted dimpled rotors
Hawk Ceramic pads
K&N Cold air intake with heatshield & DEI thermal-wrapped
BLACKED-out everything...
Redline headlights
Black 18" Sacchi wheels on lightweight Continental DWS tires
Mishimoto transmission-cooler with Royal purple synthetic fluid
Gutted trunk

Offline Brad Kenny

• Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 06:46:58 PM »
I agree with checking the oil level. Level has been constant with no foaming. Water has a property when mixed with oil and passed across temperature and churning to turn oil a light tan almost milky tan color. Oil is a nice clear and bright oil color. Still keeping my eyes peeled for any other abnormalities. Still no change wiith level. Hrumph...

I am definitely frustrated. Next step will be to drain the oil keeping the last quart in a jar to look for oil/water separation. Still cannot find a leak anywhere. Has it ever been known for a hose to have an intermittent leak? Possibly weepage at a clamp or somewhere else?
Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs

Offline Brad Kenny

• Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 08:31:33 PM »
So in my constant watching of the resevoir level I have come up with the following observations:

From a 50 degree morning cold start level to an 85 degree engine nicely warmed up the level changed by almost 1.5 inches in the tank.

When I had my "low level" situation it was 45 degrees out after a very warm day the day before and when my oil was changed it was 85ish and before a very hard and hot run to VA and back.

Since I have had no change in level other than thermodynamic contraction and expansion due to ambient changes and running the engine, I have come to the following conclusion:

The level was originally lower than I thought in the tank when I had the oil change (7500 miles and 4 months between oil changes) and no fluid was added.

I drove the car hard to VA and back including seeing several times at 214 while sitting in stop and go and 105-150 IAT.

With cooldown of the engine, coolant and associated systems, and not raising the hood, I did not see the gradual lowering level in the tank over a week of abnormally cold temps.

I have searched the entire cooling system, to no avail. Unless I am having a bi-metallic failure at only cold temps, I will probably never know the true cause of the loss of coolant.

The only other option I can consider is I had a "summer" steam and water void in the radiator and the cooler weather caused condensate subcooling and finally collapsed "the bubble" thereby needing the contents of the resevoir for refilling.

I will continue to monitor level frequently, including the water pump but as of now, there is no smoking gun.
Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 10:48:02 AM »
Glad to hear that it's not a failure.  I think I'm in the same boat where all my changes to the coolant routing system have just altered some of its behavior.  I too saw a good inch drop in coolant at one point but nothing has changed since; I probably didn't get all the air out or something.

Offline Brad Kenny

• Gearhead
Water Pump Failure - FIXED, Motor Mount Failed!
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 07:11:36 PM »
I find it absolutely amazing what you can and cannot find on our cars while on a "real" shop lift (4 point).

Today I finally convinced my friends at M&M Motoring (who are from Romania) to lift my car for the Water Pump Failure inspection. Results, some very old residue on the crossmember frame near the steering linkage right side. (Thanks Critter and Bill Hahn Jr) I think the pump leaked at some point but to what extent will never be known. I monitor the level now and will keep doing so until it trends again.

While searching for the allusive coolant and based on a recommendation from Dave at DDMWorks about an entirely separate issue of a vibration in the rear end between 50-60 mph, my good friend notes some "goo" in an area under the Catalytic converter. He follows it back to the source and sure enough it is leaking out of the pillowball for the right side motor mount. FAILED!

We talk replacement he tells me to call the dealer. I give him some money for his time and lift, he refuses, so I pay his brother at the counter and promise to continue to send work his way. BTW, a black SOL GXP was in the lot awaiting new brakes, I did not have a KAPPAPERFORMANCE.COM card or I would have definititely left one.

I call My dealership, they tell me that it is a 3 year/36k mile warranty part but have never heard of one failing and to bring it in next week for inspection and replacement. FREE. I thank them generously and promise to have the car to them as soon as I get back from a 2000 mile trip to SC and back for a new clutch. He says fine and wishes me luck and says "no problem". That means Lindsey will have 60k miles on her when the dealer looks at her for a plugged rear differential vent and a failed right side motor mount. Needless, I really like my dealership and they have been on the "list" for a very long time.

So Monday, off to DDM for a stage 3 clutch, center console, steel brake lines and a new throw-out bearing. Anyone wanna go? I will be traveling the I-95 corridor from CT to SC and then across 20 to 26 to Greenville.

Thank you again for the infinite wisdom of this forum. Without you, and this community, these cars just wouldn't be the same.

Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
Re: Water Pump FIXED (sort of) Right Motor Mount FAILED
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 08:10:04 PM »
CT Solstice, certainly glad that your plugged rear differential vent and the failed right side motor mount were covered under warranty and that you will soon be good to go after the warranty work.  Just glad that there was nothing else found.
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Brad Kenny

• Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 09:37:31 PM »
Thanks GXPinKC! JUST HOPING I will be able to make it to DDM and back in one piece. I have confidence this is the same problem I reported to the dealership at 35k miles and was told it was the rear diff was low on fluid. (I checked the fluid level today, sat) That is why IMHO they are fixing it for free. Same issue, not a rear diff problem, leaking motor mount, sure we'll take care of it for you for free. I again cannot stress that they are a great service department and most of the CT Kappas go there for this reason alone. They will even work on cars with aftermarket parts including WERKS and DDM mods. As long as you haven't modified the the stock turbo or the engine. They don't even mind the Solo CAT.
Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 11:35:15 AM »

So Monday, off to DDM...

While you're there, you no touchy my car. ok? goot! It might give you too many ideas. :lol:
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Brad Kenny

• Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 12:36:35 PM »
No worries, would you like more pics? I could text you video of walk around of the car?

BTW, got the joke, just didn't think it was funny seeing how you haven't even driven Gwyneth yet. I am sure she will be beautiful!
Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 12:48:59 PM »
No worries, would you like more pics? I could text you video of walk around of the car?

BTW, got the joke, just didn't think it was funny seeing how you haven't even driven Gwyneth yet. I am sure she will be beautiful!

It's like one of those prearranged marriage things except this one's already had an owner.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline DickW

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 04:54:15 PM »
CT I had the same thing happen on my GXP. had to add Dexcool twice over about a 3 day period.. That was about 6 weeks ago. No problems since.
08 Cool Gxp, XM radio, Monsoon Package, 3M Clear bra. Vertical doors, Solo Mach and  3 inch Cat. GMPP turbo upgrade, DDM Race Backbone and Probeam

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 10:05:11 AM »
Out of curiosity, what did the noise sound like.  I have a noise that sounds like its coming from the front right of the car.  It happens when I go over road abnormalities.  It sounds just compressing the springs on an old mattress.  I have had the car on my dads lift 3 times already and they have pulled on the suspension really hard and all over and the sound happens when three of them pull on the front sway bar.  The sway bar is tight and they checked everything around it.  Could that be the motor mount as well?
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 10:58:15 AM »
Spiky, that sounds like the sway bar bushing squeak.  Try greasing them?
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 10:56:39 PM »
Spiky, that sounds like the sway bar bushing squeak.  Try greasing them?

Already did....definitely not the sway bar.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2011, 02:53:10 AM »
steve, although i am off topic, it could be the LVFB squeaking in some occassions.
for what is worth, when rigth side of the car's front end is on my parking ramp and the left part is still on the road, i hear a squeak that i didn't have before. it could be the body wanting to flex and the LVFB not letting it do that. so pressure is on the LFVB and it squeaks, since it has no rubber where it holds the frame.
just a thought.  (p.s. i really like my LFVB for it offers better handling on the road)
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB