Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Need help with Gauge pods and gauges  (Read 2433 times)

jrsno1fan

Need help with Gauge pods and gauges
« on: February 10, 2009, 04:24:21 AM »
First - Do we have a supporting vendor that sells individual gauges? If so who are they? If not I know a guy.

Second - I know I can get the A Piller pod cluster from DDM but I'm looking for custom gauges. I know I want whatever I get to be (of course) red and I know I want a boost gauge. For a tuning beginner can you old farts tell me after the boost gauge what is your recommendation for a 2nd or even a 3rd gauge? I just don't know what all the others do. Like Nitrous I know I don't need that. Bottom line if you were building your own cluster what would be your top 3 guages?

Thanks for your assistance.
Jr.

Offline Whip

• Global Moderator
  • Master Tech
  • Air Force Retired
    • KappaPerformance.com
Re: Need help with Gauge pods and gauges
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 05:15:38 AM »
Kim, DDM also sells gauges and I'm sure they are available in red.  One of the gauges reads a miriad of things including boost.  I can't remember the brand at the moment but they are on his website.  Joe or Spiky seem to know more about his than I do or you could PM Dave or Randy at DDM for more information.

2008 Brazen GXP, nicknamed FALCON because they fly at high speeds, change direction quickly, and dive at speeds that exceed 200 mph making them the fastest-moving creatures on earth.

MagnaFlow Cat Back Performance Exhaust
GMPP Stage II Tune
JPM custom console, seat belt loops, shifter & boot
Deepblue turn signal mod
Burl wood dash

Offline 1KULSOL

• Founding Member
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:40:22 AM »
First - Do we have a supporting vendor that sells individual gauges? If so who are they? If not I know a guy.

Second - I know I can get the A Piller pod cluster from DDM but I'm looking for custom gauges. I know I want whatever I get to be (of course) red and I know I want a boost gauge. For a tuning beginner can you old farts tell me after the boost gauge what is your recommendation for a 2nd or even a 3rd gauge? I just don't know what all the others do. Like Nitrous I know I don't need that. Bottom line if you were building your own cluster what would be your top 3 guages?

Thanks for your assistance.
Jr.

I got the PLX gauges from DDM with their 3 gauge pod that sits above my radio ... the picture on their website is of my gauges .... I replaced the stock radio with an aftermarket ... the 3 gauges I have are boost ... air/fuel ratio ... and oil temp ... these gauges can be modified to a number of different configurations and PLX will even build custom ones for you ... these gauges are awesome at night but are a little hard to read during the daytime due to the glare from the sun ... I would go with the boost and AFR on the A-pillar pod ... what I would really like to see is a replacement gas gauge that would replace our current hard to see one ... I'm thinking it could fit right where the ring is in between the speedometer and the tachometer.

lil goat

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 08:01:56 AM »
There are so many gauges on the market it is silly, you can take a look at them on eBay just to see what's out there but I would buy them from Dave and Randy, I gues I would want boost, water temp, and oil pressure if I were to choose. AFR is very useful if you are tuning, but there is not a heck of a lot you can do about it. I want to monitor stuff that by not monitoring could possilbly damage the car, sort of an early warning system. Boost is just fun to watch.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 09:47:01 AM »
A real boost guage (T'd into the boost line) and a Aeroforce Guage is the two I recommend.  I think DDM can get both for you.  The Aeroforce will allow you to scan and clear engine codes also.  It is a great tool.

Offline solid

• Tech
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 02:05:55 PM »
A real boost guage (T'd into the boost line) and a Aeroforce Guage is the two I recommend.  I think DDM can get both for you.  The Aeroforce will allow you to scan and clear engine codes also.  It is a great tool.

that's the setup I have, and I'm pretty happy with it.
Live everyday like shark week!

Offline JRinKY

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 06:50:21 PM »
DDM's website doesn't show it, but PLX makes an OBD-II compatible gauge that will display any OBD-II parameter, read and reset codes, and also read any of the PLX sensors. As 1kulsol said, the gauge face is fully programmable and can be customized by PLX or you can do it yourself.

I have been looking at the PLX gauges, but was worried about them being too bright at night.