Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Review - Flex XC3401VRG Dual Action Buffer  (Read 3453 times)

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
Review - Flex XC3401VRG Dual Action Buffer
« on: December 03, 2011, 08:44:13 PM »
Ok, quick background of the current situation before the review:

I had the hood and front bumper reprinted over here in Korea.  I liked it originally, but now realize that they used a cheap clear coat.  It scratches with even the best MF towels.  So, in an effort to clean it up a couple of weeks ago, I clay barred it which made the scratches even worse (Think rubbing your hood down with dry 3000 grit sand paper).  I started buffing it out with my Porter Cable 7424 DA buffer and that was taking forever.  About 10 minutes into it, the 7424 broke.  That night I ordered the FLEX XC3401VRG DA buffer. I finally got a chance to use it last night...

All I can say is wow!  :buff:  I used it to apply Poorboy's World Master Cut (new product) with a light cutting foam pad.  It took probably 1/4 the time that I would have spent using the 7424 and SSR 2.5.  Here's the skinny....

Pro's:
1. Forced Dual Action - Gear Driven, No spinning with a counter weight to make it happen.
2. Gradual RPM Increase - No out of control instant on.
3. Less Vibration - Easier on the hands.
4. Reduced Usage Times - Due to Forced Dual Action.
5. Less Noisy than the 7424 at high speed.
6. Trigger Operated - variable speeds without having to take your hand off to change the dial.
7.  Variable Speed Dial - Set it to your max speed, pull the trigger and lock it. Simple...

Cons:
1. Bulkier than 7424.
2. Not compatible with Edge 2000 system.
3. Can't be used one-handed
4. Price Tag - $350!

Bottom line, if you are into detailing with a passion or as a profession, this is the buffer for you!

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: Review - Flex XC3401VRG Dual Action Buffer
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:40:55 AM »
Nice review Mike, Im glad you got those scratches out.  I found a picture with the porter cable and the Flex buffer side by side.  How sensitive is the trigger to control the speed?  How sticky is the velcro in comparison to the Porter Cable DA buffer?

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 10:44:28 AM »
Wow  The  " Flex buffer " is smaller But it looks like it could Rip your hand off. When you set the Speed Dial does the triggercontrol the Vari-Speed ?
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 05:33:38 PM »
Wow  The  " Flex buffer " is smaller But it looks like it could Rip your hand off. When you set the Speed Dial does the triggercontrol the Vari-Speed ?

The flex buffer is the red larger buffer.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 10:27:05 PM »
OH ok I though somebody said the P/G was the big one ( I stand corrected )   :sorry:
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Review - Flex XC3401VRG Dual Action Buffer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 10:40:03 PM »
P/G?  Proctor Gamble?
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 11:19:02 PM »
Prostrate gland, they can get to be huge when you are Bobby's age.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 11:53:21 PM »
Prostrate gland, they can get to be huge when you are Bobby's age.
I literally LOL'd on that one!

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 12:03:23 AM »
Nice review Mike, Im glad you got those scratches out.  I found a picture with the porter cable and the Flex buffer side by side.  How sensitive is the trigger to control the speed?  How sticky is the velcro in comparison to the Porter Cable DA buffer?

(Image removed from quote.)
I'm getting out scratches that I thought I'd never get out.  It still takes some time, but at least you can see th progress.  I spent 3 hours on my trunk lid last night...

The trigger isn't easy to hold at a certain speed, specially if you're moving the buffer around. You also have to be carefully not to accidentally squeeze it when you pick the buffer up.

The Velcro is the same as what's on an aftermarket backplate that you would buy for the 7424.  To clean the pads, I spin them at full throttle and hit them with a nylon brush.  I haven't launched a pad yet.  The Flex actually spins at a lower RPM than the PC.  It doesn't need the same speed since the orbital motion is gear driven instead of counterbalanced like the PC.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 12:56:18 AM »
Well , Most of the time I use my Fisher Price power tools . Thats when Pam lets me put batteries in them. I used a Buffer      :buff:        once and found out what color the Primer was.      ;)
Mods

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 11:14:30 AM »
Very nice polisher, I bought both the Griots Garage 3 & 6 inch polishers.  The Flex seems more heavy-duty/professional, while Griots looks to be aimed at the hobbyist because it won't generate enough torque to burn paint.  :buff:

Part 1 - How To Pick the Right Car Polisher for your Detail Project