Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: GM Wilmington Plant Schematic of the progression of the build process!  (Read 5046 times)

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
I found it extremely interesting when I read the Pontiac Solstice Book by Gary Witzenburg.  The first paragraph in this post is the GM Wilmington Plant  Schematic of the progression of the build process. 

"Start--Tunnel Sub-Assembly--Underbody Sub-Assembly--Front of Dash--(Decklid--Hood--Doors--Quarter Panels) to the--(Paint Shop Area)--Differential and VIN #--Fuel Tank--Brakes--Engine Sub-Assembly--Differential and VIN #--Fuel Tank--Brakes--Engine Sub-Assembly--Engine Load--Cockpit Sub-Assembly--Cockpit Load--(Body sides)--Convertible Top--(Decklid Install)--Seats--(Door Install--Hood Sub-Assembly & Install)--Front Facia--Wheel Install--Fluid fills--Engine Start--Final Inspection--Final Processing--Shipping Area--End".  [End Quote]

Notice that the Paint Shop stop is early on in the production process.  The paint is applied to the Hydro-formed Steel Sheetmetal at a different location than where the Kappa platform, galvanized central tunnel and rear bulkhead are.  Basically, a good portion of the build process of the other components that make up the vehicle are done prior to the re-introduction of the Hydro-Formed Steel Stampings. 

Notice that the Hydro-Formed Steel Stampings get painted before they are installed on the vehicle (noted in parenthases) and as stated above go to the Paint Shop early in the build process!  As you can see they are not re-introduced on the vehicle until much later in the build process!

Your vehicle has not reached Event Code 3800 Produced and you are anxious for it to reach Event Code 6000 Delivered to Customer!

Any comments on the build process GM has chosen?

One reason I have presented this thread is to bring to the attention of new members to this forum, that if you have any interest in the Kappa vehicles, or possibly wanting to purchase one of them, or in fact presently own one, go ahead and order "The Pontiac Solstice Book" by Gary Witzenburg.  I actually have two of them.  One I ordered and the second I purchased in person at the 2nd National Solstice Meet held in Nashville, Tennessee June 21-24-2007.  Mr Witzenburg gave the key-not speech at the banquet and signed books that people brought with them to the registration line as well of signing books that were for sale.

If you, in fact, think that I am pitching this great book, I am.  Believe me you will love the book.  It is "AWSOME".  Best $34.95 you will ever spend.
Just my 2cents.
GXPinKC
Ron :2c:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:28:44 AM by GXPinKC »
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
Re: GM Wilmington Plant Schematic of the progression of the build process!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 09:17:17 AM »
Bringing this old thread back, as we have had an onslaught of new members recently and some might be interested in some old threads that we old-timers take for granted, but new guys and gals might find informative.  Lots of buried threads for you newer members that just need to be fouind.
GXPinKC

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

Windrestrictor
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline SolNut

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 05:23:44 PM »
http://www.deldot.gov/public.ejs?command=PublicCameraDisplay&county=1&id=68&hb=1&connectType=http

Great view when they are in production.

And Google has a drive by of the Plant, not current though.

Steve
 :drag:

Offline Cheers

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 10:17:48 PM »
Thanks 2091351  :thumbs:

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 12:20:34 AM »
does anybody know if they are putting out an up dated copy  of the Solstice Book 2008  or 09 model?.or is there a way to find out?
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 12:51:23 AM »
It'd be nice to have the Coupe incorporated in it...

Offline MomsSol

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 10:50:27 AM »
does anybody know if they are putting out an up dated copy  of the Solstice Book 2008  or 09 model?.or is there a way to find out?
The Solstice Book was a private endeavor by author Gary Witzenburg - who writes a lot of books on GM cars.

There are still many, many original Solstice Books available (NASSOA will be selling them shortly) .. so don't look for an updated release.
Just here to help a friend! :thumbs:
True Lady Gearhead :)
We'll Miss You PONTIAC! :cryin:

Offline GXPsy Rose

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 02:04:34 PM »
Hubby got me one for christmas, 2 years ago and even had it signed by the author

It's a wonderful book   :thumbs:
GXPsy Rose
2008 BRAZEN GXP w/GMPP tune
Ordered: June 1st 2007 & Delivered: July 20th, 2007

I LOVE MY CAR
NASSOA:  Founding Member #52

Go N.A.K.3.D..
"Life's too short not to drive a fun car"

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 10:27:50 PM »
Only thing wrong with that is Gary wrote the book for the 2006 year. The 07,08,09 would have some different up dates and #s. The book in genreal is a collector. they sell a owners manual for 149.00 don't think thatis like The solstice Book. just my thoughs
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 09:11:57 AM »
MomsSol, what is the cost of the Solstice Book?

Offline MomsSol

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 09:23:16 AM »
MomsSol, what is the cost of the Solstice Book?
Thru NASSOA?  We just ordered them and haven't finalized the cost + shipping yet.  But, it will be equal or less than everywhere else ... PLUS all proceeds are going to the NASSOA charity - Susan G. Koman For the Cure Foundation.

Hope to have that info something this week!
Just here to help a friend! :thumbs:
True Lady Gearhead :)
We'll Miss You PONTIAC! :cryin:

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 05:04:50 AM »
This old thread has not been active in a long tme and in fact may have been missed by some and it was one of the first posts that I made on this forum and due to the fact that it snowed 4 and 1/2 inches on our deck in Kansas last night and more expected tonight decided to bring it back, so for the new members that have joined this great forum here it is again.  Please review it if you wish, and in fact you may find something to comment on.  :thumbs:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:51:28 AM by GXPinKC »

Windrestrictor
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust