Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Spindle or Hub noise?  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Bottoz

• Tech
Spindle or Hub noise?
« on: January 26, 2012, 11:16:17 PM »
I have a noise coming from the front suspension area. It increases with speed, but goes away when I put pressure on the brakes. In gear or out of gear, with clutch pushed in or not... the noise is there. Tapping each tire rotation. Wheels and Tires are new. I took off the calipers and rotor, and it feels like there is some play within the Hub. Passenger side has a little more play than drivers.

I hit every bolt on the suspension, spindle, hub, and caliper... and they're all tight. I'm debating whether or not I should buy a new hub assembly. But what has me baffled is that the noise goes away when there is brake pressure on the pads/rotor. Hmmm... maybe a warped rotor? But the wheel turns freely... mostly. Pads are 80% and rotors look fine. I think I'll have them turned just in case.

So... I guess what I'm asking is... has anyone noticed play in their wheel bearings/hub assembly?

07 Sky Redline
84 Porsche 944SPEC Racecar
02 TrailBlazer

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Spindle or Hub noise?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 08:36:21 AM »
What kind of noise, and how did you check the play in it?  Can the bearings in our hubs be repacked?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline JimmyBaja

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 09:07:55 AM »
Not sure about the front but the rear comes as all one unit sensor & all... not very expensive either.
When did you first notice the noise, after you put new wheels & tires on? If so I would start there, inspect the tires real good for possible imperfection.

Offline Hoosier GXP

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Hoosier GXP
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 09:33:29 AM »
The front hub is the same as the rear. All one unit. If you replace just make sure if you have anti-lock brakes to get that on the new hub. I think 3 bolts hold the complete front hub assembly on.

You might also try and pull that side caliper loose and inspect the brake pads to see if one is separating. Also look for and sign of marking or scratching on that side rotor.

Offline Bottoz

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 12:02:03 PM »
I did the usual wheel bearing check. Grab wheel at 12 & 6 - shake. Grab wheel at 9 & 3 - shake. It feels good, no play. When I rotate the wheel forward and change direction to reverse, I hear a tap. When I take off the caliper, the tap is gone, but the hub feels a little, uh, lumpy?

Since the sound goes away when I put pressure on the brakes or remove the caliper, I'm thinking it might be a loose pad. It's a very faint tap tap tap that increases with speed.

And yes, the same hub is used on all four wheels, with ABS. Looks like they're around $180 on Rock Auto.

The tires and wheels are new, direct from Tire Rack. I didn't notice anything abnormal. But, I DID start to notice the sound when I put the new wheels and tires on. Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

07 Sky Redline
02 TrailBlazer

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 12:09:33 PM »
Put the old tires and wheels back on and see if it goes away.  If it does put the new fronts on the back and see if it moves, if it does it is a wheel and tire, if not probably the hub
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Online Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 12:10:20 PM »
Nice Bill and Ted reference
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Bottoz

• Tech
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 12:36:43 PM »
Good idea Critterman. I'll move the wheels/tires around this weekend. I have dedicated summer/winter sets.

07 Sky Redline
02 TrailBlazer