Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Find new maps for your nav head unit?  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Find new maps for your nav head unit?
« on: June 01, 2012, 09:12:52 AM »
Bought a Kenwood DNX9960 a few years ago and I have usually been able to find updated maps. Garmin released new maps recently and I was able to find them on the Kenwood forums. The maps are complete with the 3D maps, voice recognition and junction views.

Just wondering what others have found with their in dash nav units. Are there updated maps out there for Alpine, Pioneer and all the other decks on the market? The readily available maps for the Kenwood was a major factor in my purchasing decision.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
Re: Find new maps for your nav head unit?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 10:31:18 AM »
Bought a Kenwood DNX9960 a few years ago and I have usually been able to find updated maps. Garmin released new maps recently and I was able to find them on the Kenwood forums. The maps are complete with the 3D maps, voice recognition and junction views.

Just wondering what others have found with their in dash nav units. Are there updated maps out there for Alpine, Pioneer and all the other decks on the market? The readily available maps for the Kenwood was a major factor in my purchasing decision.

End of month, I'm likely picking up an Alpine INA-W910.  I chose primarily based on the following: it has super fast boot up time, particularly for getting to the back up camera, sounds fantastic "out of the box", no lag on the visual user interface touch screen, and from my experience very solid reliability.

Alpine, like other companies release new maps every 2 years or so.  And to be honest, it was not a big concern of mine.  I had been using an older Garmin with pretty old maps, and borrowed my dad's much newer Garmin with much newer maps one day.  It had lots of nice little upgrades like built in blue tooth, bigger screen, faster response time on the screen, but the updated maps weren't the be all and end all.  But maybe that's because I live in a major metropolitan city.  If I lived in an area with constant new developments, it would be much more of an issue.

I'm a little concerned and could possibly be persuaded to go Kenwood for a few reasons.  First of all the Alpine visual interface looked outdated the day it came out.  They have this newer line up starting with INE, that look so much slicker.  But I'm a little wary of buying an early production deck with such complexity.  I tried out one of the DNX-6690, and it was frustratingly slow.  Apparently the 9990 loses a few functions, but gets a faster processor, and as a result is MUCH faster/smoother, and less laggy.  Although in my opinion, what Kenwood wants for the 9990 is not in line with what others are offering.  You can get more for less with Pioneer and Alpine.

I must admit, now that I know maps for the Kenwood/Garmin are readily available for free, this may persuade me to with a Kenwood DNX-9990, but only if I can get it for a grand tops (I can get the INA-W910 for under a grand).  But since I've found out about the new INE line up from Alpine coming out soon, and already released in Europe, I may go that route.  The lack of map upgrades while a factor, won't sway me if the other factors don't add up.

Oh, and they have an 8" oversized double din version of the the INE, if I can shoehorn that in, I'd love to.  But again, I'm concerned about buggy new product that's not even available here yet.  They make a normal double din version called the INE-S920HD, that has a rotary knob, which I love compared to all buttons/touchscreen.  I also like that it has a slot for a cd/dvd so that it doesn't have to have a motorized screen (just one more thing to break, and drives up the cost/complexity).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 10:52:00 AM by Carbon Sky »

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Find new maps for your nav head unit?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 08:32:46 AM »
The Kenwood I have has a motorized screen but I rarely use it to access the CD/DVD slot. In fact I've never watched a movie on it other than to try it when I first got the deck. Still got the Mr. Bean's vacation DVD in the slot.   :D   I do like the way the Kenwood's motorized face moves to a negative angle when I start the car so I don't get the glare on the face when the top is down.

Don't find the interface particularly slow. They don't sell it anymore anyway but I find I use the steering wheel controls most of the time as they are the most convenient was to change tracks and adjust the volume. The voice activation is great but not useful at all when our cars are moving.

It's really a tough decision to make but the Garmin was the deciding factor for me. Roads seem to change all the time around here.

I wonder what others have experienced as far as map updates on their head units.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!