Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Solstice Recessed Grills  (Read 183308 times)

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Solstice Recessed Grills
« on: October 26, 2012, 10:34:40 PM »
Here you go Bob.  Took about 40 min to draw in Solidworks 06, had to remember how to use the older version which is what I have at home.  Of course this is just a guess at the size and is lacking things like draft and installation tabs.  A production model shouldn't take more than a few hours to do it's collecting the data from the car to make it work that would take the most time.  Anyone have a 3d scan of the Solstice to work with?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
Re: Solstice Recessed Grills
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 11:23:41 AM »
Like I said those are just a guess dimensionally speaking and I would be very surprised if they would work as is.  As far as production I would get a set stereo lithed and then make some casting molds from them, I've done that kind of thing before.  For me it's kind of a lack of time keeping me from doing things like this.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 12:18:10 PM »
Like I said those are just a guess dimensionally speaking and I would be very surprised if they would work as is.  As far as production I would get a set stereo lithed and then make some casting molds from them, I've done that kind of thing before.  For me it's kind of a lack of time keeping me from doing things like this.

I bet a full CAD model of the front bumper would make it a little easier ;)

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 12:22:52 PM »
Yeah that would help, what kind of file is that and what are my chances of getting a copy?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 12:27:39 PM »
Yeah that would help, what kind of file is that and what are my chances of getting a copy?

I have it in .xt and .igs, the .xt is 86mb and the .igs is 231mb, so not going to be able to email it to you ;) As for your chances of getting a copy, I would like 1 chocolate sprinkle doughnut from Krispy Kreme delivered and it is all yours ;)  Actually, I will see if we can host it on our ftp server and if so I can shoot you over a link via PM.
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 01:20:24 PM »
That would work.  We don't have Krispy Kreme here in Central Hellinois so we might have to work something else out for payment.  I might be able to get one of those Elff repellent kids toys would that work?  Oh wait he pays you money doesn't he?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 09:31:11 PM »
WOW  this thread Took a real turnabout . Went from ( New LNF Aftermarket Manifold!!! Check it Out ) to Making Grills .

===============    " Now this is a real derailment "  =============
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 09:36:06 PM by 1 LIL NDN »
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »
Critter, we only have them for workstations. i know there are Quadro NVS for laptops, not sure the FX series can be used for laptops. you are probably right, the fx quadro (q series now) can only be used in workstation. i have a 2000 for my use, but never actually used it since i know nothing about cad

Hey, just confirmed my vid card is an Nvidia NVS 4200M.  I was quoting you what this laptop usually comes with, but apparently this isn't the usual configuration.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 08:09:15 PM »
Recessed grills? If you do it I want a set for sure. I have a set of the Aftershock ones that I can uninstall if someone needs them to help with design. They aren't a perfect fit but might help.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 08:11:20 PM »
The Aftershock grills fit differently on the GXP than they did on the NA. If I remember correctly, they stuck out a little farther on the bottom with the NA.

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 08:20:20 PM »
We will see Bob, I still don't have the front bumper file from Dave.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 09:43:32 PM »
I thought the GXP grills were a different size Not so !
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 10:07:58 PM »
I wonder if Dave has the CAD file for the GXP too?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 08:56:19 AM »
I believe he does, and there is a difference in the curve of the GXP and N/A grills.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 08:57:08 AM »
Far as I know Rudy is only person who has the actual 3D/CAD recessed grills files.  Would it be an option to see if he'd supply or sell them?  I have a unused set, but not even sure a college with a 3D printer would be willing to scan them, let alone knowing the charge to produce a CAD file.

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 09:01:54 AM »
The Aftershock grills fit differently on the GXP than they did on the NA. If I remember correctly, they stuck out a little farther on the bottom with the NA.

The grills are the same on the NA and the GXP, on the NA the grills fit flush with the nose, and on the GXP the grills fit inside the bumper a little on the bottom. The problem that Rudy had with the recessed grills is he made them fit flush with the GXP nose, which caused them to stick out a little on the NA nose. So if you want the recessed grills to fit flush with both bumpers you would have to make 2 different sets.

SA - I still have not been able to compress them down enough to email, I am shooting you a PM though about them.
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Offline Wartie

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 10:16:26 AM »
Recessed grills? If you do it I want a set for sure. I have a set of the Aftershock ones that I can uninstall if someone needs them to help with design. They aren't a perfect fit but might help.

Bob,
 Some up close pictures would be a great help, maybe hold a tape measure in the picture for reference. I am also taking a stab at this. I could really use a depth or recess measurement as well.

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 10:34:43 AM »
Just host them on your website or any free filesharing site like mediafire.com or filedropper.com.  That's actually what they're for :)  You can even password protect the archive if you don't want it public domain.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 11:10:25 AM »
Far as I know Rudy is only person who has the actual 3D/CAD recessed grills files.  Would it be an option to see if he'd supply or sell them?  I have a unused set, but not even sure a college with a 3D printer would be willing to scan them, let alone knowing the charge to produce a CAD file.

I am not really worried about getting Rudy's CAD files for the grills I can create my own.  The file from DDM would help to make sure that the grills I drew would fit in the bumper cover.  I haven't really looked at Rudy's product but from what I understand it could use some refinement.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline EarthNTX

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 11:48:33 AM »
I really love the look of those grills. Wish I had some. :)
Ride it like you mean it.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 01:17:51 PM »
Pictures with sizes? ChopTop, can you take some and post them here? My car is in storage and I can get access to it if we need this but it's a ways from home.

I will certainly drive there and take some if you guys need them. Looking forward to this. A set printed in ABS would be awesome. I would pay and I expect I would have to pay more than I did for the original set I bought from Rudy.

Like Dave said, the grills although the same for the NA and the GXP fit a little differently in the bumper. Even Rudy's grills although made for the GXP, never really fit properly in mine. They look great, don't get me wrong, but they could fit better than they do.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 01:24:05 PM »
...never really fit properly in mine. They look great, don't get me wrong, but they could fit better than they do.

That's kind of what I have heard and thus my refinement comment.  With a CAD model of the bumper those kind of things should be able to be worked out before parts are even made.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 01:31:08 PM »
The grills are the same on the NA and the GXP, on the NA the grills fit flush with the nose, and on the GXP the grills fit inside the bumper a little on the bottom. The problem that Rudy had with the recessed grills is he made them fit flush with the GXP nose, which caused them to stick out a little on the NA nose. So if you want the recessed grills to fit flush with both bumpers you would have to make 2 different sets.

SA - I still have not been able to compress them down enough to email, I am shooting you a PM though about them.
I can setup a FTP for you and John if you want, or you can use yousendit dot come

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 01:42:54 PM »
I can setup a FTP for you and John if you want, or you can use yousendit dot come

I think we got it worked out, but if not I will take you up on it.

Thanks Joe!
Dave
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 02:22:05 PM »
Recess grills, one set please.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia