Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: lambo doors  (Read 4191 times)

Offline 06CoolSolstice

• Tech
lambo doors
« on: December 20, 2012, 01:04:06 AM »
So the devil from South Carolina is tempting me with the Christmas sale on lambo doors.  So for the guys that have them, do you like them?  How big is the opening? I am 6'3 and my car is my dd.
Garage:
2006 Solstice N/A
2001 Suburban (wife's)
1998 Trans Am
1974 Corvette Stingray
2007 Trailblazer SS (sold to by Sol)

Offline GXP_Matt

• Tech
Re: lambo doors
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 10:45:49 AM »
Too late, I already bought all their stock and set it on fire to keep people from ruining more cars.
2007 zero option GXP, SCCA A-Street
Full LNF Z0k conversion, Koni Yellows, Solo Race, SSR wheels, BF Goodrich Rivals in 245/40-18

2013 North Carolina Street Tire class champion

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 10:57:47 AM »
lambo doors are a pain in the ass to install.  DBG installed 12 sets mine was the third.  1st set took 12 hours, 2nd took 6, and everyone since then 3 hours.  You have to cut holes in the hood.  See first picture.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

They do look great

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Some people find it hard to get in and out, they swing out about 20-25 degrees and then go up.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Me, I love them.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 12:26:01 PM »
Too late, I already bought all their stock and set it on fire to keep people from ruining more cars.

Good man!
Glad I am not alone in thinking they look stupid (not that there is anything wrong with that if the owners like them, of course - to each his own)
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 01:49:50 PM »
So the devil from South Carolina is tempting me with the Christmas sale on lambo doors.  So for the guys that have them, do you like them?  How big is the opening? I am 6'3 and my car is my dd.

I am 6'4 and they really look cool but I would have difficulty in entrance and exit from Miss Red Eagle if I had them installed...but I enjoy seeing them on other cars...
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 04:28:29 PM »
Don't be haters.........
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 04:37:26 PM »
I think Critter needs to mow his yard.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 09:40:13 PM »
I love mine.
Its not as easy to get into the car as with normal doors, but the peace of mind of knowing I wont hit my dopr on the workbench in my garage is worth it.

It was much harder to get out of the car while holding the door between the first and second clicks to avoid damaging it

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 09:41:01 PM »
lambo doors are a pain in the ass to install.  DBG installed 12 sets mine was the third.  1st set took 12 hours, 2nd took 6, and everyone since then 3 hours.  You have to cut holes in the hood.  See first picture.

(Attachment Link)

They do look great

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Some people find it hard to get in and out, they swing out about 20-25 degrees and then go up.

(Attachment Link)

Me, I love them.

John  :Joe and I did mine in about 5 hours and all I was doing is helping JOE . Mine has Plungers that are for a Sky . My Doors were the First to have the Sound Deadening and it made them a little Heavier . When they are raised up Everybody Looks at them . When Joe made the supports to use at Shows & Parades keeps people out
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Wartie

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 09:59:29 PM »
All right one question, I store one car on a lift and one underneath. Will the doors open far enough with out raising them to get in the car on the bottom? I don't want the doors to hit the lift above the car.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 10:07:36 PM »
Yes
You will have to slide in, but you are skinny enough to do it without raising the doors. 

Offline Wartie

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 10:00:40 AM »
Yes
You will have to slide in, but you are skinny enough to do it without raising the doors. 

Thanks, I bet you have some off-shore property to sell me too.  :cool:

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 10:13:07 AM »
Wartie, I can get in and out of mine without putting the door up.

DDM
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
lambo doors
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 11:40:42 AM »
Wartie- i can tell you from experience with Critters car, if you are not familiar with the doors, they will trick you every time. Over and up. Down and in. Over and up. Down and in. Over and... Not that far over, back a little, ok, now up...

06Cool-
My thoughts are- interesting look. Ok on the right car with other supporting visual mods. Look better on the Sky than the Solstice.  Good for show in back woods America, overdone in SoCal.  Again, just my thoughts.  If you really want to stand out, get some gullwing doors installed on a convertible. Then, have a celebutant in a minidress flash her messy crotch at everyone every time she gets in or out of your car.
LA- what a place.
Make the right choices now

Offline GXP_Matt

• Tech
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 11:41:35 AM »
When they are raised up everybody looks at them.

Yeah, they're thinking to themselves, "does he really think that pontiac is a lamborghini?"   
2007 zero option GXP, SCCA A-Street
Full LNF Z0k conversion, Koni Yellows, Solo Race, SSR wheels, BF Goodrich Rivals in 245/40-18

2013 North Carolina Street Tire class champion

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 11:57:24 AM »
Yeah, they're thinking to themselves, "does he really think that pontiac is a lamborghini?"   

:yay: :thumbs: :yay:

Exactly!  Same as what they think when a Fiero with body kit shows up (although most of them are Ferrari rather than Lambo, with the exception of the odd Countach wannabe).

For the guys that have to park in tight garages I can see the point, otherwise not so much.
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 12:12:25 PM »

I think it looks good on the Sky/ Solstice. However, it doesn't look good on Hondas, SUVs, and pick-up trucks, etc. You'd be surprised how many people think that the car doors came stock with VDis. I never had any bad comments about them except on this forum. I no longer have VDis installed, but I would like to see a gullwing kit. If it's like the McLaren SLR, the top hinge point will have to be in the windshield surround and the hydraulic strut would be at the bottom corner of the door. Another interesting door is that of the Koenigsegg. I have preliminary sketches of how to implement a system such as that, but I think I'd be better off if I had autoCAD skills.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
I guess it is a case of some like things that others Don't .Anything else thats not liked ? Also If I wanted a lamborghini I think I could have one . To each Their own . I Fit 1 Jeep G/C and 2 cars in my parking space N still get in and Out of all.
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 04:01:59 PM »

Not sure if anyone answered your question directly or not, but most of the time when we are getting in and out of a car with VDI's we never raise the doors up.

Attached is a picture of how far the door opens without going vertical, hope that helps.

It is a heck of a deal on the VDI's this time around, FYI.
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 05:02:04 PM »
I like the look of mine and I rarely have to lift them up to get in. It swings out before they go up. Enough room to easily get in. Just dont try to open the door fast. People think it can fully swing out and half way out  the bump stop throws it back inward.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.