Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: carbon fiber skinning  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
carbon fiber skinning
« on: February 13, 2013, 03:06:13 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone here has tried carbon fiber skinning? I'm not talking about the 3M Di-NOC carbon fiber film. I'm talking about real carbon fiber applied over an existing plastic, metal, or fiberglass piece then clear coated and polished? I've watched a video online of the process. It looks fairly straight forward, but time consuming. The pieces I would want to cover will be rather large...oh, let's say the size of Norm's side skirts.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Re: carbon fiber skinning
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 04:41:51 PM »
What's the benefit of doing this?  If all you want is the carbon fiber look then I would say use the film or maybe look into hydoprinting.

If you are just going to add a layer of carbon fiber to the part you will have a lot of time involved prepping the part because you don't want the CF to delaminate off after you are done. You also might have to worry about the added thickness causing clearance issues when installing the part(s).  Not to mention how much time and money you are going to spend just trying to do a layer of CF over the part.  If you haven't worked with fiberglass cloth before you are in for a learning curve when it comes to laying down the material so that it is straight and free of air bubbles.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 05:00:02 PM »
The benefit is that the film does not look good enough and I'm concerned that it will peel over time as a few of the film projects I've done have already. Skinning makes the part indistinguishable from a full carbon fiber piece and it will last. At most you might add 1/16th" to the thickness of where it will contact the body of the car. I doubt it will cause clearance/ fitment issues.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline GXP_Matt

• Tech
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:36:06 PM »
Agreed, with SA, you better be a pro lamination expert or there will be wrinkles/uneven areas/ gaps in the carbon where you can see the paint underneath.  Why not just leave the skirts body color?  I'm really not a fan of making things look like they're made of CF when they aren't, and if you get close enough to tell that it isn't film you'll be able to tell that it's just a cosmetic layer.
2007 zero option GXP, SCCA A-Street
Full LNF Z0k conversion, Koni Yellows, Solo Race, SSR wheels, BF Goodrich Rivals in 245/40-18

2013 North Carolina Street Tire class champion

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 06:22:11 PM »
I haven't ordered the side skirts yet. So, they'd still be primered ready to paint from Norm if I decided to go ahead with this particular project. So you mean to tell me that you can tell that the following examples are just skinned and not full carbon fiber? You've got better eyes than me then.

"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 06:36:33 PM »
I don't think they were done by someone just starting out . trial and error will be what your in for . Just like the Film being C/F or other finish . I watched ASAP do the Film in Denver and it took him about 5-6 hr. just to do the Hood film . ( Just the front of hood and around headlights N grill )
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:36:06 PM by 1 LIL NDN »
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 06:38:13 PM »
I'm thinking of using this patterned carbon fiber:
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 06:54:37 PM »
There was a company that did that process on parts.  They did it on a couple of Solstice 'boomerangs', but it was $1000+, IIRC, just to do that!

STOP THE PRESSES: I found the link... http://www.apsisusa.com/Lamination%20Real%20Carbon/Lamination%20Black%20Carbon/Pontiac/Solstice/Pontiac%20Sostice%2006-UP.htm
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline cdflint

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 09:21:22 PM »
I have Madmods interior pieces that were done by that company. He mostly does Corvettes and can get really costly but it looks great. I have the rear pillar, boomerang dash, dash handle, insert next to the handle on dash and doors, door sills, under the steering wheel and the pieces on the side of the dash next to the doors. I got a great deal from Madmod.
She's an 09 Brazen GXP.

Covered by Norms Fiberglass, DDM, WERKS, KappaSphere, Trifecta performance, Dejon performance, Solo performance, Magnaflow, Hahn, VDI, B&G, ASAP, WindRestrictor, Gravana, JPM, Santana, Madmod, HID pro, Second Skin Audio, mydipkit, Automotivetouchup.com and Smoothline.

To be or not to be hard, that is the question. I prefer my top off and still hard when I need it.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 10:10:35 PM »
Pppppthpthpthpthttt! :P
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)