Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: V8 worth the costs?  (Read 61525 times)

Offline bun1t

• Tech
V8 worth the costs?
« on: April 14, 2013, 02:53:01 PM »

With a good driver the car will be very fast, estimated 0-60mph in 4.3 seconds and quarter mile easily in the mid 12s.

I spent under $1000 in power mods on my Redline to run mid-12's. I think I got a better deal.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Re: V8 worth the costs?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 03:54:40 PM »
I spent under $1000 in power mods on my Redline to run mid-12's. I think I got a better deal.

Time slips?
Mods list?
Tires?

Not questioning you did it, just want to know how. Got a friend in Romania with $10,000 in mods who can't break 13.2. Want to give him some tips.
Make the right choices now

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 05:30:33 PM »
Not questioning you did it, just want to know how. Got a friend in Romania with $10,000 in mods who can't break 13.2. Want to give him some tips.
Bring him to my "strip" and I bet those parts of $10,000 that he will not break even in 13.1s
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 05:31:50 PM »
Kelu-

I wasn't talking about you. You live in Belgium. Did you forget where you live?

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 08:25:17 PM »
Wow you would think Kelu would at least know where he lived wouldn't you GJ?  :roll:
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 08:31:47 PM »
Wow you would think Kelu would at least know where he lived wouldn't you GJ?  :roll:

No kidding!

Offline bun1t

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 03:17:17 PM »
Time slips?
Mods list?
Tires?

E47 Tune
Solo downpipe
Straight pipe exhaust
K&N Drop in
FMIC
Nitto 555R 17x245
Sky Redline VS. Pontiac G8

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 03:43:43 PM »
good tires at the track make a world of difference.
and
the timing you can add with e47 really wakes up the LNF.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 04:02:24 PM »
E47 Tune
Solo downpipe
Straight pipe exhaust
K&N Drop in
FMIC
Nitto 555R 17x245
That looks at least "double" than what you said.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 01:48:40 AM »
E47 Tune
Solo downpipe
Straight pipe exhaust
K&N Drop in
FMIC
Nitto 555R 17x245
Sky Redline VS. Pontiac G8

Auto or manual?

Nice run!

Offline bun1t

• Tech
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 02:09:57 AM »
That looks at least "double" than what you said.
Hardly.

E47 tune $200
Solo downpipe $200
Straight pipe exhaust $75 at a local shop
K&N drop in filter  I got it free but we'll put down $50
FMIC $250 I bought a universal one online and fabbed my own pipes.

Total = $775

Wheels and tires were $500 but that's not a power mod. I'm sure a V8 Sky will need better traction than what the stock tires provide as well.

It's a manual btw.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 11:17:28 AM »
That's a pretty good time with a manual. Nice run.

How did the G8 run?  (He asks secretly contemplating buying one for his next car...)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 11:18:31 AM »
Hold on- are we in a Werks sale thread?  Perhaps we should jump ship here and go elsewhere to discuss your car (and my future car)

Offline bun1t

• Tech
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 07:34:01 PM »
That's a pretty good time with a manual. Nice run.

How did the G8 run?  (He asks secretly contemplating buying one for his next car...)

It was awhile back but I want to say 12.8 or 12.9, I'm not too sure.

I raced a "claimed" stock G8 GXP and it was about even. Other people said he had nitrous so I don't know.

Here is a run with a G8 GT with a 75 shot. He started gaining in 4th gear because my car was on a full E85 tune and was throwing the common low fuel pressure code. I had it retuned for E47 and no problems since. Last I remember he upped the shot by 100+ hp and was running 11.7's

NSFW due to language.

VIDEO0045.3gp
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:39:51 PM by bun1t »

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 07:57:53 PM »
Time slips?
Mods list?
Tires?

Ouch!
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 08:07:26 PM »
Nice run indeed! Whether or not a V8 is worth is really up to the owner. I, for one, am very impressed by our 2.0L terrors.

I had my trans repaired (actually replaced) and the guy who did the work told me it scared the crap out of him when he test drove it after the work was done. When I got in the car the cruise control was still on (I have my Trifecta switched from it) so he only was driving with the GMPP tune! He probably would have had a heart attack if I had an E47 tune!
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »
Well, now that the thread is split, and the subject of this one is about a V8 conversion being "worth the costs"...  I'd say it depends on your goals. 

Yes, of course you can make the LNF or even LE5 very powerful.  Dollar-for-dollar, if you're goals are just based on getting from A to B in the quickest time, you should/can tweak your stock motor.  Granted a V8 with a turbo, supercharger, big cam or other power adders WILL produce more power than a 4-banger with the same mods - and will do so more reliably over the long term...  this generally speaking.  But you have to shell out buckets of cash to do the conversion, then up from there to add the turbo, supercharger, cam, what-have-you.  Eventually, you'll produce way more power than you can hope to put to the ground (with either powertrain).

But a V8 conversion isn't just about big power.  If you are addicted to the SOUND of a V8... if you are averse to turbo lag...  if you like the idea of having a more unique and "special" car...  if you just GOTTA have a V8, then there's no convincing you it's NOT worth the cost!

I have nothing but respect for those building high-power LNF/LE5's.  I'm not dumping any more into bolt-ons for mine.  Instead I'll wear it out in nearly stock form and squirrel away cash for a DIY V8 conversion when that day comes.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 06:00:20 AM »
We said Scott, I have mine moderately improved power enough to be able to use it as a daily driver but when it's wore out, the V8 WILL be the next mod.

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 09:37:08 AM »
Nothing on this planet compares to a big V-8 thundering down the road.  If you ever have owned one you know the special zip of adrenalin that goes with the down payment on your dream car.  Well, as you all know I and Carol were weened on a 1995 Pontiac Firebird Formula fitted with the LT1 5.7 Liter SFI V8 Engine and manual MN6 transmission and of course it was 81U Bright Red-Primary otherwise known as Victory Red. 

If you have the opportunity to own or drive a V-8 sports car there is nothing like it and the adrenalin rush is fantastic.  Joe, you will be pleased with the V8 mod but please drive with caution and respect and don't end up like I did!  The temptation and power they have is unbelievable and can lead to trouble but they are a blast to drive for sure!!!  :brnout: :drag:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 09:42:27 AM by GXPinKC »
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »
You had a V8 Ron?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 11:38:09 AM »
But a V8 conversion isn't just about big power.  If you are addicted to the SOUND of a V8... if you are averse to turbo lag...  if you like the idea of having a more unique and "special" car...  if you just GOTTA have a V8, then there's no convincing you it's NOT worth the cost!

I think that is really it. There are many that worship the V8. They aren't after outright power, they want the V8 no matter what, even if it is heavier or less powerful. They are addicted to the idea and the sound, as you said.

As a non-addict I of course just don't see it. I like whatever floats my boat for a particular application and I think that the LNF is the most interesting modern 4 cylinder I've come across.  I guess everyone has their own personal path to automotive fulfilment.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:59:11 AM by wspohn »
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 12:36:37 PM »
if kelu would quit being so cheap and buy my slicks/wheels, he would be seeing much better times

(and probably breaking parts)
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 12:39:11 PM »

I think that the V8 is not about power... more nostalgia and sound for most folks.

If someone gave me their 2.0L and the money of a V8 conversion, you would be amazed what it would run ;)
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline bun1t

• Tech
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 01:01:36 PM »
I think that the V8 is not about power... more nostalgia and sound for most folks.

If someone gave me their 2.0L and the money of a V8 conversion, you would be amazed what it would run ;)

That's the thing, I wouldn't spend $15k in mods on a Kappa and I definitely wouldn't do it just for sound. I had every intention of upgrading my turbo on the car but now I've decided not to. My car is quick for what it has into it, reliable, gets decent gas mileage so I'm content with it. If I want to go really fast I have a liter bike for that.

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2013, 01:06:17 PM »
Sound like the Jeep saying; It's a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand. 

I have no problem admitting it's about the sound, however I don't see anyway around the argument that the less strain a power source has placed on it (theorectically) the longer it should last. 

That doesn't mean a properly maintained 4 can't live as long as an properly maintained 8.  The question is if all things are equal; meaning if both were drove like they stole em day in and day out, AND using the same weight; which power plant would have to be rebuilt first?