Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Which Meth Kit To Buy  (Read 13596 times)

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
Which Meth Kit To Buy
« on: September 09, 2013, 03:55:30 PM »
So Im trying to decide which meth kit to go with. There are so many out on the market. On my old solstice I used a compmay called Alky control based here in flordia for the kit and had no problems at all. I would think that all the kits are the same unless some one wants to correct me on that info. So what kit are people using. I was looking at Devils Own but also thinking about going back to the old kit I used to have.
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
Kappa Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover Cross Brace
JPM Shifter, Center Console
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
Re: Which Meth Kit To Buy
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 04:09:55 PM »
The pumps can vary widely from company to company as can the method in which they determine when to spray. [Controller]
Some tap into a T-Map sensor and do it via Voltage readings and others do it via Boost readings.

I personally like AEM due to their Failsafe's but think Devil's own has better nozzles and accessories. 
The Devil's Own Controller only monitors the fluid level via a switch in the tank.  Even if the system determines you have low fluid or run out, it does nothing more than flash a light.   Other controllers can open the wastegate so you can't boost or even flip to a different tune [That is not supported on our cars]
AEM has an add on [Which could be used with a different brand] that monitors flow on top of the controller Monitoring fluid level and power to the pump.  It can open the wastegate or switch tunes on a different vehicle.  This comes with a very nice gauge that shows the flow and then can flash when an issue arises.  There are some nice YouTube videos showing how effective their failsafe is.

The BMW/Mini world is all about Howertown engineering.  I know of 3 people who run this kit and 2 had pump failures. The pumps are rated lower than both the AEM and DO. The kit does have an excellent fail safe system, so no engine damage resulted in either of these cases.  It's almost $1000 for the kit, so take that for what it is.

I believe a solstice owner installed a Snow kit as another option.

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 04:17:39 PM »
I saw the snow kit but I'm not as familiar  with it. I had tapped my windshield fluid bottle on my old car so I could use the light on the dash for low fluid. Here is a link to my old kit I had.

http://www.alkycontrol.com/
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Kappa Intake
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 04:22:17 PM »
I'm not familiar with them
But if you had success with them last time and you are familiar in how to install it, I would recommend sticking with what you know works.

In other words
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Tapping our Windshield fluid bottle works good, especially if you can mount the pump right there.  It keeps the plumbing to a very small amount of tubing

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 04:29:26 PM »
What is your budget?

If its limited, AEM, snow, devil's are some of the kits that you can buy. They're all pretty much the same.

But if you want the best, and budget is not an issue, Howerton Engineering engineering. The computer, injectors are way superior compared to the brands I mentioned above.
Their pump, is very comparable to the others tho
COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) goal 800hp

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 04:33:16 PM »
I saw the snow kit but I'm not as familiar  with it. I had tapped my windshield fluid bottle on my old car so I could use the light on the dash for low fluid. Here is a link to my old kit I had.

http://www.alkycontrol.com/

If they are local to you, and have success, why don't you get the same kit?

They are one of the oldest companies out there, and I believe they have been using the same pump and controller. Not sure if they've upgraded to newer models or not.

I didn't know they are still active.

Just make sure you buy a "progressive controller", on whatever company you pick.

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 04:42:06 PM »
Joshmass with project scarab uses Howerton engineering meth kit. You can PM him if you want more in depth feedback with the kit. I believe he has the second to the highest stage.

I spoke to Jeff Howerton a few years ago. He is very smart and friendly person. I highly recommend their products if I have unlimited funds.

I used AEM kit, and had no issues with it. I will probably use the exact kit on my new set up.

Will Howerton produce more whp than AEM kit? I don't know. If it will, probably only a few whp! So to some people it will not be worth the money.
Is the controller/computer way safer and more advance. YES.

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 04:42:22 PM »
What is your budget?

If its limited, AEM, snow, devil's are some of the kits that you can buy. They're all pretty much the same.

But if you want the best, and budget is not an issue, Howerton Engineering engineering. The computer, injectors are way superior compared to the brands I mentioned above.
Their pump, is very comparable to the others tho

I was looking at their kits and 800 isn't that bad and I like the fact that their kits come with a gauge. On their ordering form it was like I was back in high school and I couldn't answer any of the questions. I haven't heard of many people running their kits or it could it be that people just don't want to pay that much.

If they are local to you, and have success, why don't you get the same kit?

They are one of the oldest companies out there, and I believe they have been using the same pump and controller. Not sure if they've upgraded to newer models or not.

I didn't know they are still active.

Just make sure you buy a "progressive controller", on whatever company you pick.

Yes they are still active and the last kit I bought from them was a progressive controller
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Kappa Intake
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 04:49:13 PM »
Yup saw project scarab car with the gauge. Very cool.
He even have the Howerton meth tank. Waaaay better than the tanks supplied by other companies.

If $800 is within your budget, then go for it!

They are not as popular compared to AEM kits, etc since they are pricey.

You can go crazy with Howerton kits since you can get their best kit and also includes 4 port injectors!!! That will make sure that each cylinder is receiving equal amounts of meth.

Call Jeff, and inquire.

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 04:54:27 PM »
Yup saw project scarab car with the gauge. Very cool.
He even have the Howerton meth tank. Waaaay better than the tanks supplied by other companies.

If $800 is within your budget, then go for it!

They are not as popular compared to AEM kits, etc since they are pricey.

You can go crazy with Howerton kits since you can get their best kit and also includes 4 port injectors!!! That will make sure that each cylinder is receiving equal amounts of meth.

Call Jeff, and inquire.

I wonder if I could find room in the engine bay to mount one of their tanks prob not since their is no room. Thanks for the info
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Kappa Intake
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 05:02:24 PM »
As far as the HP question, the answer is no.  You are ending up with the same Octane and tune accordingly

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 05:03:48 PM »
It's too tight inside the trunk

If u have Facebook, look for "project scarab" and u can see his meth kit setup

He used werks trunk extender kit, and installed the tank on that space.
Very clean look and can still use the soft top

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 05:12:09 PM »
 :urock:
As far as the HP question, the answer is no.  You are ending up with the same Octane and tune accordingly

Unlike other meth kits, aquamist HFS-4 doesn't just spray progressively to a conventional non DI engine. They also have DI application.
Plus it has a cool feature IDC to boost proportioning and tune it to injection curve

And that's why I believe it can produce a few whp more.

Check this kit: http://howertonengineering.com/products/aquamist-systems/aquamist-hfs-4/

It has way more features than your regular progressive controller.

But with all said and done, probably only very few whp more. And this kit is equivalent to buying 3 AEM kits! :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:17:12 PM by SKY888 »

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 05:19:04 PM »
You really have to have a good tuner to use this Howerton/aquamist hfs-4 kit, or it will just act like a regular progressive kit.
And you just wasted your money since u weren't able to squeeze out those couple whp :)

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »
It's too tight inside the trunk

If u have Facebook, look for "project scarab" and u can see his meth kit setup

He used werks trunk extender kit, and installed the tank on that space.
Very clean look and can still use the soft top

Just took a look at it and it is def bad ass
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Kappa Intake
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 05:20:15 PM »
You really have to have a good tuner to use this Howerton/aquamist hfs-4 kit, or it will just act like a regular progressive kit.
And you just wasted your money since u weren't able to squeeze out those couple whp :)

I was going to use Dave at DDM since he tuned my other car
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Kappa Intake
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 05:22:26 PM »
Just took a look at it and it is def bad ass

If u have any questions, feel free to contact josh. He is very approacheable and will not give you any bs.
Tell him that Antonio told u about his project scarab and aquamist system.

He is from MA, and he is the one who introduced me to SMG. And I introduced him to BTF. :)

Good luck!

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 05:24:56 PM »
I was going to use Dave at DDM since he tuned my other car

Dave will be fine!

I know he will read the manual upon installing and tuning. And will call Jeff, if he has some questions.

Not like others who will not look at the manual and will not use all the features of this kit, since he is not familiar with the features

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 05:30:58 PM »
If I remember correctly that the werks trunk extender has to be installed by them which suxs cause its def a long drive from fl to ill lol
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Kappa Intake
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 05:37:01 PM »
I believe josh just ordered the kit from them. SMG is the one that installed it.

Just buy the kit from Werks and tell them DDM will install it :)

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:

SPONSORS:

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 05:42:39 PM »
I believe josh just ordered the kit from them. SMG is the one that installed it.

Just buy the kit from Werks and tell them DDM will install it :)

That was my plan I guess I just need to call werks and ask them since on their site it says installed only. Thanks for the knowledge
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Kappa Intake
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 06:18:30 PM »
Hsf 4 looks like it combines 2 types of controllers into 1. Map reading and boost.  The 2 and 3 system just use a map reading.   I am not sure how that really relates to DI.  It might allow for some more fine tuning but still am not sure if that changes HP as all systems will still end up with similar octane which will be the limiter for tuning without knock.

DDM sells and can install AEM kits.  They have a very slick mount location for the pump on a custom bracket

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 06:22:46 PM »
I was looking at the HFS-3 kit
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Kappa Intake
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 06:26:40 PM »
:urock:
Unlike other meth kits, aquamist HFS-4 doesn't just spray progressively to a conventional non DI engine. They also have DI application.
Plus it has a cool feature IDC to boost proportioning and tune it to injection curve

And that's why I believe it can produce a few whp more.

Check this kit: http://howertonengineering.com/products/aquamist-systems/aquamist-hfs-4/

It has way more features than your regular progressive controller.

But with all said and done, probably only very few whp more. And this kit is equivalent to buying 3 AEM kits! :)

We have installed one of those before, the amount of options and adjustability is probably a little overkill for most installs, but if you want the fanciest and most adjustable meth kit, this one is hard to beat for sure.
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 06:35:10 PM »
We have installed one of those before, the amount of options and adjustability is probably a little overkill for most installs, but if you want the fanciest and most adjustable meth kit, this one is hard to beat for sure.

You know me I love overkill lol but if If want to go wild in the future I can lol. Just talked to Dave at Werks and the trunk extender can only be installed at their shop
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 07:01:04 PM by IBDRINKEN »
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Kappa Intake
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection