Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Problem with the passenger present sensor  (Read 4130 times)

Offline OmegaUser

• Apprentice/Gofer
Problem with the passenger present sensor
« on: December 09, 2018, 10:18:47 AM »
Two months ago I got the message "service airbag" and the airbag warning light on the dashboard went on. Reading with the Tech2 gave the error message B0081 71; defective PPS. In the Netherlands these sensors are no longer available and such a sensor costs about $ 400 in the USA. In the end, I solved it by having a company in Germany program the PPS and the seat belt warning out off the SDM. After a few failed attempts I finally succeeded in getting rid off the messages.

Two weeks ago I received my SDM back from Airbag24

The start

SDM back in the car

Interior panels back in place

Seat back in place

The result (1)

The result (2)

After an hour of work I had placed the SDM in the car again with the result: no more error messages. After a used PPS that did not work well, a PPS modulator that did not work either, it seems that the modification by Airbag24 works fine.

As far as I know this problem does not exist in the USA. In the sense that there was a recall for replacing the PPP. Such a recall has not been in Europe and probably will not come.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Re: Problem with the passenger present sensor
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 11:52:55 PM »
by removing the code, you now have no airbag for your passenger.  In the US, that would be jail time if anyone got hurt because you knowingly defeated a safety device.  Also - if it is the passenger seat sensor, it should now be covered by recall.
Make the right choices now

Offline OmegaUser

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 01:07:44 PM »
@RedOne07
That is very remarkable. I got the problem with the PPS in early October this year and two Opel dealers told me than this part was backorder (even 112 times). They had not heard anything from a recall. In Germany it also played at that time. There, two Opel GT forums have put a lot of effort into moving Opel to come to a recall but unfortunately without result. They even searched where the PPS was produced. That was at IEE in Luxembourg but a visit taught that they only deliver to GM and not to private individuals. Because a problem due to a defective PPS could not be solved and the PPS in the USA costs about $ 400, there is currently a group buy for the modification of the ASM by Airbag24. The same one that I also had carried out.
It is possible that now, one and a half months later, the PPS is available again but maybe the PPS is on the website but with delivery unknown.

Thank you for your offer. Very nice of you. If I had known this in early October.... For the moment I keep it with the modified ASM. Especially because in this case the passenger airbag simply goes off in the event of an accident. The only thing I have to take into account is that this is also the case when there is nobody - or a small child - in the passenger seat. The system is much less sensitive to malfunction in the way it works now.

I have a bad experience with a used PPS. When I got the airbag error message in October, I bought a used pair off Opel GT seats in Germany. Unfortunately, this PPS also proved to be defective. I am very interested in which Opel dealer you have. I think you are very lucky with him. I will send you a PM about this.

@Gentleman Jack
It is a misconception that due to the modification of the ASM, the passenger airbag does not go off in case of an accident.

This is now set in such a way that the passenger airbag goes off at the same time as the driver's airbag in case of an accident (independent of the occupancy of the passenger seat). This has been tested by Airbag24 and this is guaranteed by them.

It is not expected that you would go to prison in the Netherlands for the modification carried out in this way. If that is the case in the USA then I am glad that I live in the Netherlands and not in the USA ;)

Online Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 02:22:44 PM »
I'm not a lawyer, it's been a while since I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but I don't think modifying how an airbag works on your own car would be a criminal offense.  You probably would be more liable to be sued for civil damages but if it was your car and you were driving the risk of legal action is probably about the same.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 03:15:56 PM »
 ON my Tag renewal  it had a notice about the  (  P P S ) Recall  .  DOES the Air Bag have to be in for it to  be Checked ?
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 08:15:48 PM »
I don't know but would think so.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 09:32:21 PM »
ON my Tag renewal  it had a notice about the  (  P P S ) Recall  .  DOES the Air Bag have to be in for it to  be Checked ?

I would assume that the passenger air bag would have to be in place and wired correctly for the PPS to be checked according to the procedure outlined in the recall.  Good question.  I hope someone that knows the answer would be able to pitch in here, instead of us "just guessers".

:thumbs:

Aggressive #000741

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 11:20:56 PM »
Thanks Dave . It didn't stop me from getting my Tag renewal . The notice on my renewal slip I  think said    Oct 2018
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline 4Flattires

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 05:40:23 PM »
Two months ago I got the message "service airbag" and the airbag warning light on the dashboard went on. Reading with the Tech2 gave the error message B0081 71; defective PPS. In the Netherlands these sensors are no longer available and such a sensor costs about $ 400 in the USA. In the end, I solved it by having a company in Germany program the PPS and the seat belt warning out off the SDM. After a few failed attempts I finally succeeded in getting rid off the messages.

Two weeks ago I received my SDM back from Airbag24

Thank you sir for the excellent treatment of this topic.  Just this afternoon I was able to duplicate your success.   :cool: 

As a point of information, it is not cheap to mail the control module from Indiana, USA, to Berlin Germany.  At least the exchange rate was good. 

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 06:21:40 PM »
Thank you sir for the excellent treatment of this topic.  Just this afternoon I was able to duplicate your success.   :cool: 

As a point of information, it is not cheap to mail the control module from Indiana, USA, to Berlin Germany.  At least the exchange rate was good. 

Hah!  Ironic.  Back before the recall was pushed through, folks who had mat failures were getting much cheaper (than US) replacement mats from Opel dealers in Germany!  They were only around $100 shipped to US.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)