Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Another Engine Rebuild  (Read 6185 times)

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Another Engine Rebuild
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 10:17:58 PM »
Did you say on the other forum you had 104000 miles when it went up in smoke?.
If that is the case that was not a bad run for the engine.
I do agree you pushed a little to hard with your tune and stock internals with that much mileage.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline 08skyldr

• Tech
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 07:18:23 AM »
Did you say on the other forum you had 104000 miles when it went up in smoke?.
If that is the case that was not a bad run for the engine.
I do agree you pushed a little to hard with your tune and stock internals with that much mileage.

That is correct.  I would say the majority of those miles is highway mileage (to and from work), but I have roughly 400 runs at the dragstrip on it as well.  So overall I'm very pleased with the engine and happy it lasted as long as it did. 

I did some research before getting this car and decided to drive it like I stole it after the break-in period.  When I get it rebuilt, that's not gonna change.  So I'm contemplating on getting a second engine and building it up as well so I won't have much downtime.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2011, 07:47:43 AM »
While we all appreciate the post and the informative rebuild and look forward to your additional posts, I would like to mention and I'm in no way busting on you.  I just want to point out what I believe happened.  This doesn't appear to be a typical engine bust as you modified the GMPP tune and sounds like caused the engine to run lean burning a hole in the piston.  For that reason I don't screw with the tables as I don't have the funds to rebuild an engine.  That is the same reason I'm not moving forward with any more performance mods to my car until the car is paid off. 

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2011, 08:11:25 AM »
one of the solstice forum members, actually have less mileage than the OP...............I believe he has a Wester tune.......and also drives it like he stole it kinda guy.

I'm not sure what's going on, but he already blew three blocks!!!   Also leaned out and burnt one of his pistons on the first occassions.........and I believe the last one was one of the pieces of the rods came out and punch a big hole on his block!

He bought my stock block, and picked it up a couple of weeks ago.

I am hoping that this wil be his last block.       He recently purchased a set of wiseco pistons, k1 rods, etc from this guy in mexico, who is also a forum member from the BB.

COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) goal 800hp

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 12:37:31 PM »
While we all appreciate the post and the informative rebuild and look forward to your additional posts, I would like to mention and I'm in no way busting on you.  I just want to point out what I believe happened.  This doesn't appear to be a typical engine bust as you modified the GMPP tune and sounds like caused the engine to run lean burning a hole in the piston.  For that reason I don't screw with the tables as I don't have the funds to rebuild an engine.  That is the same reason I'm not moving forward with any more performance mods to my car until the car is paid off. 

What! With all the money you make off this forum how is that possible?!?  :lol:   :poke:
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 02:19:04 PM »
He is supporting a stable of 3 Solstices and a BIG RED TRUCK
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline 08skyldr

• Tech
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 03:06:00 PM »
No
While we all appreciate the post and the informative rebuild and look forward to your additional posts, I would like to mention and I'm in no way busting on you.  I just want to point out what I believe happened.  This doesn't appear to be a typical engine bust as you modified the GMPP tune and sounds like caused the engine to run lean burning a hole in the piston.  For that reason I don't screw with the tables as I don't have the funds to rebuild an engine.  That is the same reason I'm not moving forward with any more performance mods to my car until the car is paid off.  

No offense taken and to each his own.  As I mentioned I fully take the blunt of this screw up.  I was trying to be aggressive (as I like to win at the track) and didn't have everything monitored correctly.  I will have the appropriate gauges setup so if I see it running lean I'll correct it.  There is is just a ton of collective knowledge on these boards and I'm soaking as much in as I can.  If I had the money I would be heading down the same road as Antonio as it just sounds totally sick, and I like being unique in my neck of the woods.

As for the car, it's paid off in 6 months anyway.

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 03:15:16 PM »
Hey Richard, a friend of mine from your area is selling dual aeroforce gauges and ddm pillar.   He only used them for a couple of months, but is selling his car.

if you're interested, txt me.

COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) goal 800hp

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF