Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Another Engine Rebuild  (Read 6171 times)

Offline 08skyldr

• Tech
Another Engine Rebuild
« on: March 02, 2011, 03:47:25 PM »
Well I finally did it.  On February 12th I was out trying to get some logs and testing out the car before going to the first Test and Tune of the season.  As I had a co-worker who bought a 2010 Mustang GT with the Track package on it that needed to be put in his place after his comments.  I just upgrade to the 3-bar sensors and got a base tune for that and modified it.  All I can say, I had fun up to the very end as it was flying. 

After a few quick launches and some runs down a empty road using a stop watch (it’s not perfect I know), we had a estimated 0-60 in 4.7 and a 1/8 mile time of 8.3.  That suit me just fine so I headed home expecting to have a good showing the following day.  Less than 5 miles from home, as I stepped on the gas at 74mph, I heard a click, a little hesitation, and then a lot of white smoke out the rear of the car.  After finally getting a bore scope to look inside, I have a whole just smaller then the size of a quarter in piston #1.  There doesn’t appear to be a hole in the block, but we’ll verify that when we get the engine pulled.

So for my rebuild (yes I’m doing it myself with a mechanic friend), I am doing the following upgrades:

K1 Rods
Wiseco pistons (86.5mm)
Supertech Valves +.5mm
Supertech Valve springs
Port job for the head
New turbo & intercooler (if funds remain)
Water/Meth Injection (if funds remain)

I would like to be in the 400whp when all is said in done but we’ll see.  I’ve already started talking with folks and will begin dismantling the engine this weekend with the hopes of pulling it the following week.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
Re: Another Engine Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 03:52:48 PM »
Tough luck. Hope all else goes well with the rebuild.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 03:59:05 PM »
Sorry to hear it. Hope you get it back together soon.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 04:00:45 PM »
So for my rebuild (yes I’m doing it myself with a mechanic friend), I am doing the following upgrades:
That sounds awesome ;)

Keep us updated and don't forget, take tons of pictures ;)

A service manual?  :D
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 04:05:57 PM »
Richard, good luck on the build!!!

You have a great set of internals! 

Please be careful with head porting though, that's a tricky part!   A lot of failed attempts out there.  Our head is very different compared to other heads.  ZZP actually had to do a lot of different trials since most of the head porting of LNF.......ended up losing horsepower, as well as not streetable.   So pls be careful on that one.

I suggest getting the water/meth for SAFETY reasons.   But u can also use it for added power!

By the way, what's the new turbo set-up?

Good luck buddy! :)
COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) goal 800hp

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 04:06:03 PM »
Were you watching A/F at the time?

Offline SKY888

• Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 04:13:19 PM »
it will be a fun year for the kappas!!!!

lots of kappas will be putting down 400whp! :)

COMPOUND TURBOS (GT2860r & GT4294r) goal 800hp

CAR SPECS and PHOTOS:
https://www.facebook.com/SKY888CompoundTurbo

SPONSORS:
aeroforce.com, nitrofreeze.com, forgestar.com, splitsec.com, turbosmartonline.com, k1technologies.com, supertechperformance.com, specclutch.com, rceng.com, statusracing.com, tceperformanceproducts.com, burnsstainless.com, performanceautowerks.com, ddmworks.com, turbowerx.com, BTF

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 05:26:13 PM »
Who installed the sensors and did you modify the tune yourself or was it a copy of the GMPP tune.  Seems strange if that is all you had done. 

Good luck with the build though.

Offline DirtyMike

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 05:32:36 PM »
Best of luck on the rebuild!

BTF ShabbyPipes w/TialQ ,HID low&fogs, stubby,Tints, RPi GT Exhaust & RacePipe, Hahn IC, Areoforce Dual Guages, DDM ProBeam, Race Backbone & APilar,Wester\'s Race Tune,TenzoR DC5, Eibach Sportlines, BTF\"BigWheel\" ko4+,JPM shifter,RK sport hood,norms sky fenders, HKS turbo timer & some CF bits

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 05:32:51 PM »
I wonder why SO many people have problems with #1? Anyway, that is the result of lean mixture and pre-ignition. Too bad.

I have a question. Is Wiseco the only choice for pistons? Recalling my motorcycle days, I STILL shiver when I hear Wiseco. Currently, my race cart and Formula 440 and 500 buddies really do not like them either as the expansion rates are different than just about any other pistons - same as my experience 25-30 years ago. Maybe the auto applications are different/better and more temperature stable.

Just sayin'.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline JimmyBaja

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 06:12:43 PM »
I feel your pain, I'm traveling down the same road brother. Good look with it all, the worry of the unknown is gone now, you can build it right & will be better!

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 06:44:11 PM »
08skyldr  what tune were u using?
type of gas?
really sorry to hear this happened, really happy you re going to upgrade yourself the internals!
you will have a pretty strong engine once you re done
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline 08skyldr

• Tech
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 08:04:01 PM »

Please be careful with head porting though, that's a tricky part!   A lot of failed attempts out there.  Our head is very different compared to other heads.  ZZP actually had to do a lot of different trials since most of the head porting of LNF.......ended up losing horsepower, as well as not streetable.   So pls be careful on that one.

Yeah, I've been talking with Dave at DDM and I'm going to have them port the head.  They have had quite a bit of experience in this area so I think I'll be ok.  As for the turbo, that's still up in the air, and I have a month or so before I'll be ready for it.  I'll be looking around but am open to suggestions.

Offline 08skyldr

• Tech
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 08:05:28 PM »
Were you watching A/F at the time?

Funny thing, I had just ordered an A-Piller pod and guages just for that reason and apparently didn't have the patience to wait on them.  The A-Piller arrived the following Monday and the guages a few days later.  That's why they say patience is a virtue, right?

Offline 08skyldr

• Tech
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 08:09:42 PM »
Who installed the sensors and did you modify the tune yourself or was it a copy of the GMPP tune.  Seems strange if that is all you had done. 

Good luck with the build though.

I installed the sensors myself and based upon other threads I had seen they were all soldered from the start.  The tune changes were done by me, but was a modified version of the GMPP.  I was honestly being a little aggressive.  Based upon how my friend did at the track the next day I could have been a little more careful, but I am very competitive when it comes to this and now I paid for it.  My friend is still getting used to his Mustang and only ran a 9.5 in the 1/8 with 0.022 reaction time.  For him that's good, however it wasn't even close to where I ended last year with an 8.6.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 08:33:46 PM »
That sucks, good luck with the build.  How aggressive was the tune?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 08:41:37 PM »
I would buy the cam/ported head/valvesprings kit from the company who builds fast Cobalts. Even though they are not a supporting vendor.

Not saying that DDM won't do a good job porting the head, but they don't have a cam offering.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 08:48:14 PM »

Not saying that DDM won't do a good job porting the head, but they don't have a cam offering.

Apparently cam blanks are hard to find for our cars at least in regards to the LE5 that is.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline 08skyldr

• Tech
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 08:51:28 PM »
That sucks, good luck with the build.  How aggressive was the tune?

Well I was still running 25psi at 110mph and pushing 31 lp/min on the MAF.  That was probably stupid.  It took me 5 sec's to go from 80 to 100, 10 sec's from 80 to 120, and about 18 sec's to go from 80 to 140.  That may not be fast to some, but it is definitely faster than it was and faster than what my Crossfire was.  This next go around I will be much smarter and have have much wiser guidance.

Offline 08skyldr

• Tech
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2011, 08:55:59 PM »
I would buy the cam/ported head/valvesprings kit from the company who builds fast Cobalts. Even though they are not a supporting vendor.

That may be my next project.  I am definitely going to find another engine to work with as well.  While looking at parts I did find what I'll call race cam's but in order for them to work there had to be some changes to the head to make them work.  So once I get back on the street I'll start building a full race engine for it.  My wife has already told me that when I get her a new car my car becomes completely a toy.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:01:10 PM by 08skyldr »

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 08:59:51 PM »
I might know where you can get another engine, have no clue as to what the cost would be, but I do know he has at least one LNF that got Veplaced by a v8

PM me if you are interested, he is not a supporting vendor.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 09:02:20 PM »
They have a setup you can just bolt right on. Head comes with everything inside for 2 grand. Just slap it on and go.

They have the fastest stock turbo 1/4 mile LNF Cobalt out there. So whatever they are doing is working.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 09:03:33 PM »
Hate to see motors go up in smoke. Good luck on your build.

Mike
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline 08skyldr

• Tech
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 09:08:38 PM »
08skyldr  what tune were u using?
type of gas?
really sorry to hear this happened, really happy you re going to upgrade yourself the internals!
you will have a pretty strong engine once you re done

The tune was one that I was modifying myself, so the blame falls on me for this problem.  As for the gas, I was running 100 octane.  I have been taking it to the track now for almost 2 years and have 100 octane for about 1.5 years while I'm there.  I normally run 93 octane (non-ethanol) on the street.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 02:28:21 AM »
Apparently cam blanks are hard to find for our cars at least in regards to the LE5 that is.
not for lnf
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!