Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: I need some input/ GT2871R Upgrade  (Read 2500 times)

Offline AK

• Apprentice/Gofer
I need some input/ GT2871R Upgrade
« on: May 09, 2013, 07:39:13 PM »
Sooo I found a really good deal on the Compression Housing and Center Cartridge from a used Garrett GT2871r turbo and I was wondering if anyone has done the swap themselves besides pay ddm works $2,795+ for it. I won't be doing this alone...my neighbor builds cars for a living and he is going to help me. My main concern for right now is if anyone has ever done it them selves and if our stock intercooler will suffice once the swap is done?
Fully payed off / Koni Struts / Eibach Springs / full Dejon CAI / Kappasphere reBAR / Catless DP to straight-pipe to single outlet muffler

Offline Dream20b

• Tech
  • You know I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
Re: I need some input/ GT2871R Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:13:05 PM »
*some of this is speculation*

Seems to me that if the stock intercooler is only efficient to 300 RWHP (as claimed by some companies), and people are cranking out more than that on the stock turbo (I believe K04 like the MS3), If you plan to run a GT2871R you will be making more power than that and a upgraded intercooler will do wonders for longevity. Lower BATs = More power. Methanol injection is an alternative to a larger intercooler, but will be more expensive in the long run.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 10:23:56 PM »
Don't know about the home swap, but shoot DDM an email and ask for tips. Then buy an inner cooler from them because yours will be holding you back severely once you upgrade.
Make the right choices now

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 09:31:21 AM »
Not to mention it will probably balloon out.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 05:15:17 PM »
Once you upgrade the turbo the OEM IC has to be upgraded.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 12:57:49 AM »
You will have to get a good machine shop to machine the turbo hot side/ center cartridge so the 2871 mates with the stock exh housing properly (not sure which one DDM modifies). Odds are your handy neighbor isnt a machinist, so this would need hired out... and asking a machine shop to do something like that could be difficult. Most shops would turn away something like that or not guarantee it would work. So DIY isnt a very good option here IMO...I would recommend asking DDM if you can exchange your core, or just buy the machined hot side from them and put it together yourself.

Also realize that this turbo upgrade requires a lot of supporting mods to work without hurting the cars performance... The 2871 eliminates the stock Bypass valve, so you will need an aftermarket blow off valve. Which will require you to get different charge pipes/weld a bung on your existing pipes. And as everyone has said above, you will need the intercooler as the 2871 will be way too much for the stock cooler to handle. Also you will need to get a HF cat or go catless on your downpipe, and a better flowing exhaust isn't a bad idea.
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE